SDHC file recovery (CR2/XP)

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by Dallmeyer, May 6, 2010.

1. Dallmeyer

Dallmeyer TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just got a weird error when i inserted my card. Card not formatted for camera. So like an idiot i just pressed format. Then realised i hadn't copied my pics to a desktop folder. Luckily it wasn't a deep format and the card hasnt been used since i did this (5 minutes ago). Anyone recommend a freeware recovery app? I have a few here that i'm going to try out but they are trials and won't suprise me to find in the end i can't complete the task without buying a key or something.

P.s - it was a weird error because the card wasn't formatted AFAIK in XP prior to this occuring.

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    A lot of SanDisk media comes with a mini-cd that has a pretty good free file recovery application with it. I've had to use it several times,and it does a pretty good job at recovering files. Sorry to hear about your incident.

3. Dallmeyer

Dallmeyer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for that. Maybe it can be found online also. I just ran Photo-one trial. Now trying something called DDR (trial).

I'll post an update if anything useful transpires. Thanks Derrel!

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  4. Dallmeyer

Dallmeyer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think i just found the software again on google: ZAR - zero assumption recovery.

See if i can get a result with this...

5. Dallmeyer

Dallmeyer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Success! Got all 377 back off a 4GB card as tiffs (11.3mb each) CR2 would've been nice ..but beggars can't be choosers eh!

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah...I had the same problem/result a few summers ago when I accidentally deleted a CF card full of Canon .CR2 files...I got them back as .TIF files...still, better than nothing.

7. Dallmeyer

Dallmeyer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ;) thanks for following the progress! I need to geta grip with my archiving. I have a system but i slobbed out in the last few days. I do batch renames in Faststone into individual folders by day/location. Then i make a backup of that too as an archive. I've been looking at these 320gig or 500 - 1TB external drives but i'm scared to be honest of having so many eggs in one basket! 500gigs would be like .. 1 or 2 month's shots maybe. I bought a 2GB stick today to make an external backup of at least my favourite CR2 thus far. I'm thinking in terms of having lots of 2GB sticks rather than a huge external...(maybe someday i can also afford to get a 1TB as yet another safety net! in addition to the sticks and the 2 backups on my crapbook's hard-drive).

8. Dallmeyer

Dallmeyer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Have i thought this through properly $10 a stick ..?? I guess 2Gb is ok per week if i'm sorting through for the keepers. hmmm.

9. j-dogg

j-dogg TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This happened to me once, my best friend accidentally deleted everything we shot one day because an old pic of her was on the card, I DL'ed some program and 50 dollars later got everything back.