Seamless vs Vinyl vs ??? - Help Needed for Studio Setup

All shot on Savage Thunder Grey:

Jess1.jpg
I had no idea the grey would respond so well to color gels. This really gets me thinking that paper may be the way to go.
I may order a trio of white, black & grey.

As for the studio lights. I'm still undecided.

Yeah, I learned a bit about grey from this thread.
get strobes. From what I've been reading one of the important things is the adapter plate to the strobe (and getting one that has a lot of diffuser options available). And a modeling light seems to be handy too. Then whether you want to use an optional battery pack, have fan cooled, etc etc etc.

I went the route of flashes but wished I did strobes (other than the storage limitation I have).

Modeling lights need some type of electricity to operate. When operating studio flash units on a portable battery and sine wave inverter, the modeling lights draw extra current, so most people switch the modeling lights off when running off of an inverter. There is no need for fan-cooled lights at this power level. Studio flash gear is typically not all that compact, and the light stands and umbrellas needed are typically the longest items one has to transport on location shoots. Three to five monolights and reflectors can easily fit in an average gym bag type of carrying tote.

Its possible to get grey vinyl backdrops. I presume they would not have such a dirt issue as the white ones.

Most reactions

Back