second hand 5D MK1

Zalokin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All,

I would be grateful for a bit of advice.

At the moment I have the Canon EOS 400D / Rebel XTI, and I have the following lenses: -
  • the 17-55 kit lens
  • a Canon 50mm 1.4 prime lens
I have the opportunity of buying a second hand Canon 5D MK1 from a friend of mine.
He is a pro photographer, but I trust him, and I know he cares for it. However, I am aware that the amera has been in use a lot and have to see the wear and tear issues and the shutter count.
He is selling it for about £430 or about $694.

I've always liked to have a full frame camera, and I suppose that the 5D is much better than the one I have, due the the higher ISOs adn the quality of output etc.
Also the 50mm lens is better suited as I can take pictures at wider angle. At present my 50mm with the crop is more like an 80mm and a bit more limited, as mostly I can only take portraits.

My other choice is buying the Canon EOS 18-55mm 2.8 EFS lens which is about £800 or $1,263. This would provide me with more flexibilty due to the zoom ability.
However, in doing so this lens would only be suited for crop cameras, and also I would have to use my camera (the 400D) at the moment.

Considering all this... is the purchase of the second hand 5D MK1 worth it (if its in good condition?)

Thanks.

Nicholas

At the moment I have the Canon EOS 400D / Rebel XTI, and I have the following lenses: -

the 17-55 kit lens
Do you mean the EF-S 18-55mm?

My other choice is buying the Canon EOS 18-55mm 2.8 EFS lens which is about £800 or $1,263. This would provide me with more flexibilty due to the zoom ability.
Do you mean the EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS?

The EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS won't give you any more 'flexibility due to zoom ability'. It's focal length zoom is practically the same as your kit lens. What it does have is a larger (and constant) maximum aperture, which is a great upgrade. Also, it is a much higher quality lens, with much better image quality.

That does sound like a good price for the 5D. If that is what you want, then go for it. You won't be able to use your kit lens with it, but the 50mm will work quite nicely.

I'd jump on the 5D. You can sell your XTi and the kit lens to really offset the already great price (they usually go for around $1000USD).

If it were me, I'd get the 5D. That's a great price, unless it's near the end of it's shutter life... They usually go for no less than $900 around here on CL.

Am i wrong or not, the EF-S lenses don't fit on the 5D...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back