selecting a zoom lens?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Paddyrick, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Paddyrick

Paddyrick TPF Noob!

First of all I am sorry about my ignorence. I have an old Pentax camera with a 55mm lens. I want to get a 300mm lens. Can someone tell me how you know what lens will srew onto my camera, or can any lens fit on any 35mm camera?

2. Rainman

Rainman TPF Noob!

No, unfortunately most camera brands have their own proprietary mount though some brands did adopt the mount of more established brands. Some less expensive models adopted the Pentax threaded mount due to its simplicity. Just make sure any lens you buy has the old Pentax mount. As to brands I have been happy with my Vivitar lenses.

3. Paddyrick

Paddyrick TPF Noob!

Thanks for the help. Is the old Pentax mount the same as the canon mount?

4. photobug

photobug TPF Noob!

Paddyrick- go to ebay. Type "M42 lens" into the search box. Click the Search button. Hang on! :lol:

M42 is the generic name for the Pentax-Practica (screw) mount. The 42 refers to the diameter of the mount.

There is a 39mm screw mount, though it is nowhere near as common as the M42.

Have fun!

5. tr0gd0o0r

tr0gd0o0r TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hold on a second on that ebay search, that may or may not be the right lens for ya. What pentax model do you have exactly?

Pentax started out using the screw mount that photobug is talking about, but i suspect that while you have an old camera, it isn't that old. In the 60s or 70s (broad guess) pentax switched over to the k-mount. So the lens you're looking for is either the M42 or the k-mount. If you'll post what kind of camera you have someone will be able to let you know which one it is for sujre

6. Paddyrick

Paddyrick TPF Noob!

The camera is a
    Asahi Pentax Single Lens Reflex SVNo. 929270. Purchased 1965.

7. tr0gd0o0r

tr0gd0o0r TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    well, after a short google search, it looks like photobug was right about the lens mount, but i'm not completely familiar with that camera and i'm sure someone will come along in a little while who will be positive thats the right mount