semi-noob questions

kirch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
1. its about the season that he northern lights will be out pretty good. what settings/ lenses (i have a d50 with a 18-55, 28-70 macro, 50, and 75-300mm macro)/shutter speed, etc. would you guys suggest.

2. when i use my 300mm lens in macro, my pictures turn our really dark. how do i fix this problem?

thanks in advance
-kirch

kirch said:
1. its about the season that he northern lights will be out pretty good. what settings/ lenses (i have a d50 with a 18-55, 28-70 macro, 50, and 75-300mm macro)/shutter speed, etc. would you guys suggest.
Tripod, 35mm, 30 seconds, f/5.6. Then chimp, adjust, and retry.
2. when i use my 300mm lens in macro, my pictures turn our really dark. how do i fix this problem?
More light? Longer shutter speed? Wider aperture?
Or maybe you need to take the lens cap off?

W.Smith, haha how did you get the f/5.6 figure? haha it seems so random (btw I'm noob, not attacking you, just curious).

2/ Macro photography is known for lack of light - problems, so maybe what you have is normal. (more light!)

w.smith, i'll give those settings a shot next time the lights are out good.

as for the macro probs, the lenscap appeared to be removed prior to shooting. will try more light. then shutter speed, and then wider aperture. if all else fails, i will bang my head on the nearest wall, and try again.

thanks for the help guys!
-kirch

W.Smith, haha how did you get the f/5.6 figure? haha it seems so random (btw I'm noob, not attacking you, just curious).
Probably because its a wide aperture, so it will let in a lot of light - useful if you're trying to shoot something like the Northern Lights, that aren't particularly bright... Also, as they're a fair distance away, DOF shouldn't be a problem.

j_mcquillen said:
Probably because its a wide aperture, so it will let in a lot of light - useful if you're trying to shoot something like the Northern Lights, that aren't particularly bright...
Precisely (haha...)
Also, as they're a fair distance away, DOF shouldn't be a problem.
"fair distance" is right: they're between 200 and 500 miles up! (haha...)

Shooting stars are a lot closer. Faster too. And we're right in the middle of the annual Leonid 'meteor shower' as we speak (about the Leonids). So if it's not overcast where you are you could even see some tonight! Maybe you get inspired enough to get out your tripod and take a stab at making photos?
Leonids2.jpg

Most reactions

Back