Sensible Comments you get when you have your "big" camera

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Battou, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sitting here trying to remember some of my funny encounters for this thread I keep running into memories of the encounters of more sensible conversations. Now I am curious as to others.

Out with Canon EF with Vivitar 400mm on tripod at a raptor exhibition

Guy: (sneaks up behind me and whispers in my ear) "you can't photograph these out in front of city hall can ya"

Me: Actually, in theory I could, they are indigenous to this aria and I have seen a couple wild here in town.

Guy: So have I but still, get some good ones wile they are here right.

Me: Yeah

Ok, I have more but it's yalls turn

2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    "Is that a macro lens?"

first words of a runner who passed me by as I was taking a photo of some flowers - at first I thought he was just an interested passerby - so answered yes. Then we ended up in something like a 2 hour talk - yep another photographer. He was far more into the traditional line of photography and had the bonus of photographic parents (his dad as I recall).
    Never saw him again - and we were/are at the same uni - but with my memory chances are I would not recognise is face (though mine is easy - that guy with that beard! ;))

3. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've approached another photographer and been the "sensible encounter guy". Back when I had JUST got my Rebel XT w/ kit lens (about 2 years ago)and a 50 1.8 I saw a guy with a 20D and an EF 70-200 f/4 L. I was asking him about the zoom and focus ring feel and how good the range of 200mm was. He was even nice enough to let me hold the camera/lens combo (which I almost dropped because I was used to my all plastic camera with a plastic lens). But as of last week when MY 70-200 F/4 L arrived, I now shoot with the same combo he had. :)

4. RyanLilly

RyanLilly No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Taking some shots at a concert with two DSLRs, trying to work my way through the crowd, one guy stepped away from the front rail of the balcony and said "hey man, get right here in front." I thanked him took a few shots and moved on. Everyone was really nice about letting me push them out of the way.

5. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Christmas

I had my Chinon with flashgrip with Pentax Super-Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Canon EF with Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 and Canon FD 85mm f/1.8, Nikon FM with Nikkor 50mm f/2 and Minolta XG-1 with Minolta 50mm f/1.7

My GF had Canon AE-1 with Canon FD 50mm 1.8 and Speedlight 155A flash on body

GF's cousin: Are those 35mm cameras?

Me: Yes, they are?

GF's cousin: What are you going to do when they discontinue 35mm processing?

GF's cousin's father in law: That'll never happen

GF's cousin: It is, I work in a photolab and our store already discontinued 35mm and the the other stores are beginning to do the same.

GF's cousin's father in law: That'll never happen, those are professional level cameras....there are still professionals who are using 35mm and medium format, there will always be some place processing it.

Me: Hell, I could still get 120 processed if I wanted to, 35mm is going to be around for a wile yet, even then I could process my own if and when I may need to.

Me (to my GF): Wow...I started an arguement and almost didn't get to partisipate :lol:

6. EhJsNe

EhJsNe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Me (while holding my friends moms D40x (one of the 3 nicest cameras that I have ever personaly seen):This is nice:
    Friend: is that your new camera
    Me: YES!
    Friends Mom: well actually its mine. but I dont think Im going to be getting it back anytime soon.
    Me: No, I dont think you are *big Smile*

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  7. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    At a friends party:

Girl (trying to stir us up), looks at my camera and then at my pants: Is that a lens in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Me: Pulls lens out of pocket.

Room: Silent.

8. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Two cameras around my neck, one with a 28-80 F/2.8 and Metz flashw/bracket while the other had a 80-200mm f/2.8 w/flash and the brides grandmother asks, "Isn't that heavy?".

Some people were born with perspective and others grow into it. One way or another, she got it. ;)

9. jeff.scott

jeff.scott TPF Noob!

While trying to get a shot of Canadian comedian/singer/songwriter Buddy Wassisname, I had a Nikon Fe2 with a flash bracket/grip. He turns to me and says, "you should sell that and buy yourself a camera." He thinks he's funny. Most of the time he is, but that one time he failed to deliver.:thumbdown:

10. Ken Rockwell

Ken Rockwell TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    After a long day of shooting at Yosemite we were back at the lodge and I was taking some pictures of friends when a guy comes up to me:

Guy: Hey... Mister.... Aren't you that great photographer Ken Rockwell

ME: why thank you.... yes I am.....

Guy: Hey Mister Rockwell.... shouldnt you be shooting with some big fancy camera or something?

ME: Actually no, this excellent D40 by Nikon is all I need. Your camera doesn't really matter. Plus, with the money I saved I bought this fanastic SB400 flash. It fits in my pocket, only takes 2 Double A's, and recycles faster than the pro level SB800... Ooops... somebody messed up over at Nikon

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  11. Ls3D

Ls3D TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah KEN! :lmao::lol::lmao:

Mine was when a hot chicky pulls the 70-200 out of my pelican case, raises her shirt sleeve and starts doing curls! Turns to her girlfriend and says check this baby out. True story!

Luckily we were still in bed.

-Shea :thumbup:

12. Kegger

Kegger TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Garbz, I aspire to be just like you when I grow up, lol.

So today I was at the airport to pick up some colonel that came up for the day. So while waiting I was shooting a plane as it landed, a guy came out of the little storage building and asked me "Is that a camera? Cuz cameras aren't allowed here." I said "No", being a smartass, and he walked back inside as if nothing had happened. I was dumbfounded...