Sensor cleaning in the UK

gizmo2071

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ummonshadow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Anyone know any companies that clean sensors and don't charge a fortune?
I don't even need the sensor cleaning, it's the filter infront, are they expensive to get replaced if mine is scratched?

only ones I know are down south, where I work and there is Fixation in London

Take my advice get yourself an Artic Butterfly, its the easiest thing in the World to do.

The filter over the sensor looks more scratched than dusty, i've never touched it apart from using the blower to try and dislodge dust :s

Anyone know any companies that clean sensors and don't charge a fortune?
I don't even need the sensor cleaning, it's the filter infront, are they expensive to get replaced if mine is scratched?

in most cameras the filter glass and the sensor are integrated in one unit called "the sensor" ;) In most cases it cannot be removed and replaced.

how did you get it scratched? it is not easy to scratch it.

I don't know if it is scratched, or thats just how it appears.
It may just be smears of dust, there's no sign of scratches when I do test shots, just lots of dusty blobs and one streak.

That may be some kind of surface mess. I would highly suggest taking it back to the manufacturer. If it is scratched a cleaning company will most likely only dislodge the dust charge you and ask you to take it back to an authorised repair store anyway.

The only camera I know with a removable lowpass filter is the Sigma SD14 I think not sure on the model number.

I've seen the way the filters are in place when looking at tutorials on making a dedicated IR camera.
The filter is kinda soldered into place and you have to remove that and the seal to remove it, so it's not a straight forward affair.
I think I'll just have to have a dusty camera at the moment, I'm hard pushed paying living costs at the moment, never mind getting my sensor cleaned.

London Camera Exchange in Leamington Spa do an overnight service for £29.99

dirtysensor.jpg

:pale::pale::pale:
There doesn't appear to be any scratches, does there?

:pale::pale::pale:
There doesn't appear to be any scratches, does there?

to me it looks like a hell lot of dirt in various shapes.

some are so large you could blow them away. others will need contact cleaning.

I've used a rocket blower countless times on it and they won't go away!
I'm half tempted to get one of those Artic butterflies, but I'm not sure if they will be able to remove this stubourn dust!

I've used a rocket blower countless times on it and they won't go away!
I'm half tempted to get one of those Artic butterflies, but I'm not sure if they will be able to remove this stubourn dust!

well, the rocket blower needs clean and dustfree air (which none of us will have in his living room ;) and it does not work for the sticky things anyway.

Why not try a rather cheap speckgrabber? try to use it to remove the largest bits of dust first. then when you got more confident, systematically touch the whole sensor area with it. works perfect for me.

the only thing better is wet cleaning.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back