Sensor Size and Equivalence

VidThreeNorth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First, why am I posting this "here"? As far as I am concerned, for still photography, larger sensors advantages, do seem to be one sided. Mainly, the choice to go with smaller sensors turns on whether you need a smaller sensor for a specific reason or reasons. So really, the area where smaller sensors still have significant advantages are in video. But everyone should be interested in this topic.

I have seen discussions here that show that there is difficulty understanding the issues regarding sensor size and equivalence. I found this video that has done better than any other that I have seen so far to show its effects. It would be nice if one of the "big" testing companies would take this video as a template and did a better job, but this one is helpful as-is.

"Full Frame vs Micro 4/3 Sensors | Is Bigger Better?", posted by "James Popsys" on May 7, 2017.

Very strange: The first time I visited this thread and clicked on the video I got this:

and when I re-visited the site and for every subsequent attempt to view the video I get this:

So not sure what happened there.

In the 2nd video I've noted above the guy, well.... my mother said if you can't say anything nice, so I'll just say find something better to do.

In the 1st video noted above the test and results are not what the author claims -- basically he botches the whole thing and doesn't know what he's doing. Conclusions in the 1st video are false. Metabones focal reducers really do change both focal length and f/stop.

Joe

@Ysarex:

That was an accident. I had 3 links copied out on a note and the Popsys video was the "good one". The other two were not as good for various reasons. But when I wrote the post I put in the wrong link. But I tested the link and caught the error, and changed it to the right link. The error was only there for a couple of minutes, so I guess you were just right in that time slot. Sorry about that. :)

@Ysarex:

That was an accident. I had 3 links copied out on a note and the Popsys video was the "good one". The other two were not as good for various reasons. But when I wrote the post I put in the wrong link. But I tested the link and caught the error, and changed it to the right link. The error was only there for a couple of minutes, so I guess you were just right in that time slot. Sorry about that. :)

OK -- I wouldn't call the Popsys video a "good one."

Joe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back