Separate ways

JohnMF

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Hi

Haven't posted anything on the critique for a while because i havent been taking many photos...

This one is a couple of months old. I wasnt imediately drawn to it, it's a candid shot and to be honest i was just experimenting with DOF.

but when I cropped it to make it slightly panoramic it seemed to bring a new feeling to the photo. I think it now seems to show some emotion and maybe a story behind it... I would be intrested to hear other peoples opinions on this...

as for the tech info, i cant really remember except for it was taken with a 55-200mm sigma lens, 20d body, in natural light

dadjayne3.jpg

thanks

Hey.. I'm not entirely sure what to say about this - I like it, a lot. You've got some nice tension going on between the two subjects and the direction. You might try playing a bit more with the colors - either desaturating a touch, or even going the other way.

It's a bit hard to comment on this one, because you said it was a candid and an expiriment -- tough to recreate. But I really do like this picture, for a reason I can't articulate well maybe.

Hey John, I think that this has a strong emotional quality to it. The feeling I get when looking at it, is that this followed an emotional discussion between a father and daughter in which both left the conversation feeling disappointed in themselves and their inability to communicate effectively to the other person. It looks like they have had a lifetime of disappointing attempts at communication and a strained relationship. Now, the story may have been completely different and you just happened to catch them with that particular expression, but that was my first impression of it.

Technically, the only problem I have with it is the overexposure and hotspots of the hair and clothing of both subjects. I think the DoF was just right though. The powerlines or whatever in the background are a little distracting.

Overall, I think the emotion outweighs the technical issues.

Technically, the only problem I have with it is the overexposure and hotspots of the hair and clothing of both subjects. I think the DoF was just right though. The powerlines or whatever in the background are a little distracting.
Same here, the blown areas are unfortunate, because it's really turned into a great image, otherwise! Lots of emotion and definitely gives the impression of a story in there. :)

yes, judging from the intensity of emotion there appears to have been some sort of disagreement/altercation here; seems the girl may have been chewed out by the man (father) or something similar. i also see your point regarding the close crop as it gives the viewer nothing to focus on but the result from the altercation itself. i believe any tighter DOF would have been detrimental to this image. technically, i have no issues.

Isn't it amazing how changing the shape or size of an image can achieve such a different result? This photo does seem to tell a story. I agree with the opinion about the power lines.

Personally, the over exposure works for me. I don't have any problem with it. The overexposure gives more emotion to it... more extreme intensity. I think it works. The expressions on both faces are perfect for the message I believe you were trying to convey based on the title chosen. I have to agree with the dramadork, the lines are a little bright and the only thing that are distracting. Otherwise, I love it!

Funny, I never realised there were hotspots on both the persons' hair before someone mentioned they were there. So apparently they don't distract me at all. Neither do the washing lines - which I think these lines are - because the background makes just clear enough that this is in the garden of someone's home --- and in the way you cropped this photo I do agree that it may well represent a scene in which these two people have just had an argument and the man in front is walking away leaving the woman behind feeling ... what? Reprimanded? (Secretly) defiant?

So it is definitely the crop that is making this photo.
For what may have been cropped out is that she is turning over the meat on the grill and he's going into the kitchen (kitchen towel in hand) to get more glasses. I would not be too surprised if that or something equally mundane was in the original photo.

But it is no longer in this crop, so this photo gives ever so much room for thought!
Very good.

thanks for all your responses...

There are a few comments that i expected to hear such as the distracting lines and the blown out areas... i was tempted to remove the lines in PS but thought i might get away with leaving them in, i think i might just reduce the brightness or colour of them instead of cloning them out.

the burnt out areas are not on the original, they appeared when i wacked the contrast up in PS, but i liked the effect and decided to use a bit of artistic licence and keep it.

LaFoto you are quite close to what was really going on!!

...In the uncropped version the girl in the background is playing games on her mobile phone and the man in the foreground is mowing the lawn!

It wasnt until i tried cropping it that i thought there could be more to this photograph

I also got the feeling that maybe there had been some sort of conflict between the two subjects... The reality is nothing as dramatic im afraid

thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back