Setting for Rolliflex Flash

Commonman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been out of film photography for about a year now and how quickly we forget! I want to shoot some flash photos with my Rollieflex (see model below). Using a basic vivitar connected to the camera, what f-stop and shutter speed do you recommend for flash shots using 100 film? I think I was using f stop 4 or 8 depending on the distance and a speed of 1/60 and got excellent results. But I can't quite remember.

I've been out of film photography for about a year now and how quickly we forget! I want to shoot some flash photos with my Rollieflex (see model below). Using a basic vivitar connected to the camera, what f-stop and shutter speed do you recommend for flash shots using 100 film? I think I was using f stop 4 or 8 depending on the distance and a speed of 1/60 and got excellent results. But I can't quite remember.

In flash photography, subject (foreground) exposure is mostly a factor of the flash and aperture while the background is mostly a factor of shutter and aperture (ambient light). For subject exposure, the shutter speed is not all that important just as long as it does not exceed the sync speed of the camera itself. With that said, accurate exposure should be determined either via a guide on the flash or with a flash meter. i can't tell you the settings because there is no single correct exposure for all situations nor is there any way for me to guess the amount of light being emitted by the flash itself.

Between, f/4 and f/8.. I'd start with f/4 because the wider aperture will mean less light is required by the flash to obtain a proper exposure.

Use a flash/incident meter. Everything else is just guessing and in film you get no second chances so set the exposure settings properly before the shot is taken.

After posting this question I realized I have a flash meter. I connected it to the Rolleiflex and for my purposes, got an f/stop of 4 at 1/60 as well as 1/120. So, thank for the dialogue and the responses. Thank you! Now I just need subject matter to shoot.

The leaf shutter used by your Rollei E2 will sync electronic flash at any shutter speed. Changing shutter speed will not affect the flash exposure but will influence how much ambient light mixes in.

Your flash exposure will be controlled solely by the f/stop and flash power setting (and ISO of course).

Most reactions

Back