Setting up a Website -- Where to start?

JohnMF said:
i've used 1and1 for a couple of years and i must admit theyre pretty solid.

but if you just want a basic website with a gallery then i would just find a free host and use them. there are plenty to choose from

the above post looks like a pretty good offer. Alhough i would beware of registering a name with yahoo, Im sure i heard that the first year is cheap for your domain name but after that is around $9.99 a year.

There are some domain names which you can register for free. Such as the .tk extension (eg. www. mywebsite .tk).

Wellp I have my forum site registered with yahoo for almost a year now and have no issues at all. May switch it to 1&1 after it expires just because it's cheaper. .tk is free except that if you don't pay for it, you now get a frame on the top of your page. You don't wanna use a free redirect either as it still looks very unprofessional. Freehostia which I listed above is rock solid....I am VERY happy with them

Max bandwidth a month of 5GB? Sure, sounds huge right? Get the details though - odds are by GB they mean 5GigaBITS, which is only .625 GigaBYTES or 655360 kilobytes, or roughly 6553 views of a 100Kb photo.

Anyway, I seriously recommend www.webhostingtalk.com - go to the offers section. Many of them have free trials and you'd be surprised - I had a very fast, reliable host from $1.99/month and a really slow crappy one for $35/month.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back