Sex in Photography

You got me all interested into the PMed shots. Can I get some links/shots as well? :) I'm always into those healthy/freaky shots. :mrgreen:

As to sex in photography, I always figure a too personal connection with the model can sometimes disrupt what you're actually trying to express. Of course, it's no problem when what you are trying to express is the personal connection itself. :lovey:

Oh... I thought it was her work. :p

BTW, I thought is was good too. Some weren't for me personally - not my taste. But some were just awesome!!! And the vast majority of them my taste or not, shown an extremely artistic flare and a real skill with light, color, and texture.

2nd that. :mrgreen:

can appreciate the photography and art but one or two were just a bit too "out there" for me lol.

Hi,

i think this is one of the style of art. if some one using nude models in their painting i dn't think there is some bad in it. i am also little pop art artist. and i too use sometimes this type of nudity in my paintings.

I'm sorry guys, I thought I put the link in Big Bully. Ok I'll send it to those who asked.

Have we moved on from the original issue or are we still talking about 'sex in photography'? And is it 'sex: as seen in photos' or sex in the photographic industry (or hobby world)?

As it pertains to photographers and models...I think a part of that issue is the disparity or lack there of, between the level of the photographer and the level of the model. For example, with a new (probably young) model and an experienced photographer...there might be a relationship like that of a teacher to a student. The photographer would be in a position of authority (not sure if that's the right word) and that would certainly have a bearing on a possible sexual relationship. For the most part, it's not a situation for a healthy sexual relationship and certainly not viewed well by society (if that matters). Of course, as it pertains to the reputations of those involved...it does matter what others think.

I think you could turn the tables and consider it the other way. A super model with years of pro experience, might be on a higher level than the photographer. Would a sexual relationship hurt their reputation (if it became public knowledge)? Would it be 'professionally appropriate'?

Now if the photographer and the model are both on the same level...is there an issue? One or the other would probably not be using their position for an 'unfair' advantage to have sex.

Really, it all boils down to the individuals involved...and that really doesn't have anything to do with photography because it could be any industry or occupation etc.

With that being said, it is rather often that sexuality is needed or wanted in the photos. Sex sells, after all. So I guess you could say that sexuality is more prominent in photography than say, engineering. Does this lead to more sexual tension and more sexual relationships than the average for other industries? I don't know.

This reminds me of comments I heard from a photographer. I think it as an article I read in a photo magazine. It was from a long time pro who got his start shooting fashion. He was 18 years old and was backstage at a fashion show...with naked models running around everywhere. He was new at this and was a little overwhelmed and it showed on his face. A 'motherly' model noticed his distress and asked him if all the beautiful naked women were bothering or distracting him. He said no, she asked if he was gay. He said no...but he was worried about his exposure and if his photos would turn out OK. She said something to the effect of "you are going to do well in this industry".

Have we moved on from the original issue or are we still talking about 'sex in photography'? And is it 'sex: as seen in photos' or sex in the photographic industry (or hobby world)?

Would a sexual relationship hurt their reputation (if it became public knowledge)? Would it be 'professionally appropriate'?

Now if the photographer and the model are both on the same level...is there an issue?

We are on the same topic. We just took a little detour to understand what I'm referring to about a sexual connection during a session. I know most photographers work solo. They do everything thing themselves. During the process of the website I sent you guys I feel a photographer can be a photographer, but a man is a man. Chemistry might create more than art.

Sexual reputation in any field could hurt or nurture your career. So you have to use your assets well to get ahead.

Photographers and Models on the same level shouldn't have issues. I guess only when someone else's money is involved.

I know most photographers work solo.
That depends on a lot of things. A commercial shoot is probably very rarely done solo...there could be dozens of people on set. I'm certainly not all that experienced with commercial model shoots...but I've had to "clear the set" because there were just too many people around and it gets distracting to the most important people...you and the model.

Of course, I would think that a lot of 'art' shots are more inclinded to be solo...if for no other reason than it's really expensive to have all those people involved.

During the process of the website I sent you guys I feel a photographer can be a photographer, but a man is a man. Chemistry might create more than art.

For me looking at those sets in that studio I wouldn't have any chemical reaction at all. It would just be about posing them, working with them, getting the light, and capturing the sequences.

After the job was done if i was interested in one of them personally I might ask her out I dunno. But I wouldn't cop a boner or anything from behind the camera. Heck I didn't cop one looking at the prints - and all I need is a slight breeze. Still, even at my age. :D

Now, if I had set up and arranged the whole thing just for the purpose of entrapping the woman then I would be drooling over my prey. But my mind wouldn't be on photography much at all either. I can put myself in that hypothetical but I don't do like that. That's too juvenile, it's not very fulfilling, kinda dry, and not intellectually or emotionally honest.

BTW, the photographer who took those is a woman. Heavy set, black hair, there were some self portraits of her in there.

Last edited:
So in Photography the arousal factor during creation is non-existent…. I got it! Thanks guys...:greenpbl:

Of course it's existent. We get boners first thing in the morning and during math class. Getting one while photographing a glamour nude certainly isn't out of the question. I would say the only thing preventing most people from getting aroused during a set is indifference or anxiety.

Of course it's existent. We get boners first thing in the morning and during math class. Getting one while photographing a glamour nude certainly isn't out of the question. I would say the only thing preventing most people from getting aroused during a set is indifference or anxiety.

Thank you Alpha!

Most reactions

Back