Shadowy Edit or Original?!

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey folks:

So here's a recent photo of mine, and I posted the original on Facebook, but then for fun took it to Instagram (and after some additional editing) really liked this filter effect.

I know Instagram filters are "bad," but I think it looks nice. But I can't figure out if I like this or the original better. I don't know who I am anymore!

Instagram:
Screen Shot 2016-07-28 at 12.22.13 PM.jpg

Original:
Rachel Hindman_Daryll Morgan Photography-3.jpg

original FTW.
in the instaruin picture, her eyes look kinda weird, and the face is too bright, and the shadow is too pronounced making the bright/dark areas too contrasty for me.
the original is much much nicer and far more natural looking.
you had it right the first time.

.. really liked this filter effect.
Can you explain what about the effect that you like and why you like it better than your original?

BTW: I like the original better also.

With the garish filter effect, her features and makeup look more "clownish" to me. IOW; use that filter for clown portraits. Or cosplay portraits.

Thanks for the feedback. The edited one just pops more to me. I guess that's the best way to describe it.

Yup, the original is the better. Good work by the way. :)

The edited one just pops more to me.
Well if "pop" is what you want then "pop" it is. I think you're outnumbered though.

IMO a portrait of a lovely girl doesn't need to "pop".

Unless she is trying to pop.

Well, I guess I'm the dissenting opinion: I prefer the Instagram version (disclaimer: except for the overcooked eyes). IMO, the extremely close crop probably doesn't do her justice, we don't get to see enough of her face to get an impression of "her". I think a wider crop would make the original a strong beauty shot.

Instead I'm looking at the individual elements of her face that are in the shot, and the Instagram filter brings those out more. I think this combination of crop and filter (and the increased tonal range the filter brings) make this a good fashion or editorial shot as it stands.

Well, I guess I'm the dissenting opinion: I prefer the Instagram version (disclaimer: except for the overcooked eyes). IMO, the extremely close crop probably doesn't do her justice, we don't get to see enough of her face to get an impression of "her". I think a wider crop would make the original a strong beauty shot.

Instead I'm looking at the individual elements of her face that are in the shot, and the Instagram filter brings those out more. I think this combination of crop and filter (and the increased tonal range the filter brings) make this a good fashion or editorial shot as it stands.

You put into words what I couldn't haha xD

The filter made her eyes more green, her lips more pale, and her face and the background more purple. Doesn't seem to help for a subject to look purple in a portrait.

Unless you're Andy Warhol and you go all out in color and take this from a photograph to a whole other type of art.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back