sharp image problem

dazeymay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I purchased a Nikon D80 in May and absolutley love it! but i have been noticing lately that my images are slightly out of focus. I can't seem to get them sharp! I'm really hoping for some advice!

34_G.sized.jpg

14_G.sized.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

It's fairly hard to judge this type of thing with web sized images....or without some more information.

The first image doesn't look that bad...but it does look like you focused on the wall, rather than on the guys. If you did focus on them...it could be possible that you are experiencing back focus.

May seem like a no brainer, but.... is your focus selector locked. If it is not, it is very easy to hit the multi-selector pad, sending your focal points to a different location every time you touch it.

Also, you could do a test and see if the lens is front or back focusing or not. Do a search for FOCUS CHART on google. Download the focus chart and see if your lens is not focusing or not. Followthe instructions as closely as possible for best results.

Edit:
I hope you don't mind, but I downlaoded the JPG you posted and tried out some smart sharpening on it. There was a LOT of room for improvement. So, my question is... did you by chance disable the in camera JPG sharpening? Are you shooting RAW? If in RAW, what are you using to post process your pics? With Adobe Camera Raw, you can get some amazingly sharp pics!

BTW, after the test, I deleted your picture, in response to your desire to the fact that you do not want your pics edited... but I needed to find out or not. I hope that was OK with you.

Thank you so much for all of your great advice. I will check out that focus chart. I have been shooting in jpeg not raw, mostly just for space on my card. i should try raw maybe?

Thank you so much for all of your great advice. I will check out that focus chart. I have been shooting in jpeg not raw, mostly just for space on my card. i should try raw maybe?

Playing with RAW, you get a better quality output in post processing. What I would do first is check your camera settings first.

- Is in camera sharpening turned on?
- If not, turn it on, try it out, is it to your liking?
- If no, switch to RAW format files and sharpen in post processing.

Post process sharpening using Adobe Camera Raw (comes with photoshop), can get you some VERY sharp pics.

Most reactions

Back