Sho | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L mk2 | Natural Light

Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.austingreenephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'll admit it, I've been on a huge black and white kick ever since I picked up this lens. I have no idea why. I've been shooting in black and white, editing in black and white, and not even wanting to view the images in color.

I hosted a small, impromptu workshop with the UCD Photo Club this weekend. While most of the time was spent giving pointers or directing, I got in to snap a few and explore a bit more of what the 24-70 can do with ambient light.

Hope you like them! Number three is my favorite :)

1. Tribute to Harold de Puymorin's style

Sho
by TogaLive, on Flickr

Sho
by TogaLive, on Flickr

Sho
by TogaLive, on Flickr

They're nice, but the second is exceptional! The tones, the composition, the light, it's all perfect. Nicely nicely done Austin.

Jake

love #2, only slight nit I may pick is that I would have put her right (closest) foot on the edge of the bench, so that the perspective didn't cut it off.

3 is great of her face, but my eye gets drawn to her back (because of the ultra high contrast of the white shirt and black background), where the pose isn't flattering for the way her bra bunches her back up, IMHO.

loved #1, very classic, slightly mysterious

Like them all but #1 is my fave.

I would definitely keep at it with the B&W work...it will make your work stronger and stronger I think, as you look for the lines, shapes, masses, textures, and tonal relationships, more so that the distractions of colors. And this type of setting: what better a setting than CONCRETE and steel and glass for B&W!!!!:alien:

I wish I could capture mood the way you do. All three are excellent.

Great processing! I know some people hate the matte black style but I think you did a great job with it here!

Actually, I can't tell if this is matte black processing or just my crappy work monitor. Belay my last. Still love them.

They're nice, but the second is exceptional! The tones, the composition, the light, it's all perfect. Nicely nicely done Austin.

Jake

Thanks Jake! I find it really interesting that folks like #2 so much, for me it was the lemon of the bunch. Goes to say that I need to edit more shots from my "junker" pile and see what happens, haha!

Wow. #2 FTW

Glad you like it! :D

love #2, only slight nit I may pick is that I would have put her right (closest) foot on the edge of the bench, so that the perspective didn't cut it off.

3 is great of her face, but my eye gets drawn to her back (because of the ultra high contrast of the white shirt and black background), where the pose isn't flattering for the way her bra bunches her back up, IMHO.

I'm with you on three, not so much about the white shirt, but that it's bunched up. Tried the whole shoot to smooth the thing out, but every couple shots it'd just bunch right up. Partly because it was a crop top that was having to stretch a bit down to her skirt.

Thank you for the feedback! :)

Like them all but #1 is my fave.

Woohoo! I was hoping someone would say that. I really enjoyed it, though I need to work on my execution a bit more I think.

Nice, I like them all.

Awesome! Thanks!

I would definitely keep at it with the B&W work...it will make your work stronger and stronger I think, as you look for the lines, shapes, masses, textures, and tonal relationships, more so that the distractions of colors. And this type of setting: what better a setting than CONCRETE and steel and glass for B&W!!!!:alien:

This building has always been a favorite of mine to shoot in, for exactly the reasons you described. Locally, we call it the "deathstar", not because it resembles one, but simply because of how menacing it looks. The building was literally designed by its architect to get people lost inside it. Stairwells lead to nowhere, and most of the doors only open one way. The idea was to get people to talk to each other and ask for help out, but the result was just a bunch of stories of drunk students unable to escape.

I wish I could capture mood the way you do. All three are excellent.

Thanks man! :) I've been wondering, do you ever do tutorials on your post processing? If there's a Youtube video out there or something I'd love to see how you get some of your tones, they're killer!

Actually, I can't tell if this is matte black processing or just my crappy work monitor. Belay my last. Still love them.

I can't tell either, I've never heard that "matte black" term before. Either way, glad you liked them :)

OMG, the deathstar building sounds very interesting!

really great set! And they look great in B&W!:)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back