Shooting a product for a friend, need some tips on lighting

I have not seen it. I suspect that his lights are brighter than mine...

If I bumped the ISO, I could probably get away without a tripod. Tripod & low ISO sounds better to me though.

If you can use a tripod, why not?

Sounds like the OP is using a simple white sheet... there would probably then be less light than a traditional lightbox.

once you have done some lightbox work, or any flash work really, you get to know what you are doing and can shoot handheld without issue.

What a tripod allows you to do, is as i said in my previous post; take one more variable out of the equation and have it be constant. Different angles will show you different lighting patterns. By holding the camera position constant you can work on adjusting the lights one at a time, and the camera settings one at a time, so that things turn out how you want them.

i dont disagree with what you are saying at all, but for people starting out its a lot easier, and is one less thing to worry about

Took some more photos tonight, I tried overexposing the shots but got a similar result:

_DSC0004.jpg

f/5.3 (highest I can go at 112mm), 1/10 shutter, EV 0.3, white balance set to incandescent.

I then went into photoshop and took away some of the purple for a slightly better result:

2-3.jpg

Any thoughts? Here's my setup:

_DSC0008-1.jpg

The second one looks pretty good.

Sounds like the OP is using a simple white sheet... there would probably then be less light than a traditional lightbox.
If you can find some more translucent material for the sides of the box (like tissue paper, or tracing paper) it will allow more light in, which will let you use a faster shutter speed.

I can get 100% motion blur free shots even down to 1/15th of a second shutter speeds, but I have to be using speedlights (speedlights happen in thousands of a second, thats why they help freeze motion). If using constant lighting... wow, I cannot imagine how much blur those shots would have. It is all in the flash... it freezes any motion that you may have, camera or subject movement.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back