shooting in color

tide619

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so I'm shooting with a canon rebel xt and my color shots are ok, but no where near as good (in my opinion) to my black and white shots. Can someone give me some tips on settings like color/contrast/saturation/etc on shooting in color both indoors and outdoors? Thanks

black and white shots
886973875_5d13c83fc7.jpg

926020183_0b75b0f950.jpg

color shots

886973663_d5c576b422.jpg

842565691_f981c89b69.jpg

how can i make the sky look darker and not so hazy
751115843_0a63d8dd65.jpg

also if you want to see more of my pics to critque/or give me some tips they're at http://flickr.com/tide619

thanks

Your colour shots are better than your black and white. You need to take a look at the dynamic range from rich blacks to white whites in top quality black and white photography examples, and you will see that your work is not even close to that level.

Night shots by the way are generally taken when the lights come on, but there is still sufficient light in the sky to give some detail to the outside of the buildings and the skyline.

Your night street shot is on the warm/orange side. This can be corrected by adjusting your colour balance in camera or in postprocessing if you are using digital and with a filter if you are using film.

skieur

I'm not going to comment on color since I am on my laptop and the screen is less than reliable. But the blue sky one could probably use a polarizer.

I personally prefer my night shots to be warm and orange. After all that's the colour of mercury vapour lights. As for the haze, not a lot to do about it unfortunately. It's light pollution. Maybe shooting on a cloudless day would help a bit but generally you'll never get a black sky unless you're in the country.

Most reactions

Back