Shooting in raw problem

pilgrim

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
When I upload the images they come out as .CRW's.. my photoshop 6 can read .RAW files but not .crw's... am i missing something?

I'm assuming .CRW is Canon's RAW file extension name. Nikon's RAW file extension name is .NEF for example. RAW files from each manufacturer are unique to the manufacturer and don't have a universal file extension like .RAW. Actually .RAW is a Photoshop extension for a different type of raw file, which isn't the same the RAW file you get from your camera. It's a little confusing I know but just remember they aren't the same type of files and you should be fine.

To open and edit RAW files you need to use the software that should have come with your camera. I don't know how Canon's software works but Nikon's software installs a plugin into Photoshop so that it can open and edit RAW files as if it were like any other file. If it doesn't install a plugin then you have to use Canon's editing software which may or may not be that great. I have no experience with Canon software so I can't say. I'm sure there is a plugin available somewhere if you don't have one.

Anyway there are a handful of Canon users on this forum so hopefully they will provide more answers for you.

Photoshop 6 can't read Camera Raw files. The RAW in PS
is a different file format. Photoshop 7 needs the Adobe
Camera Raw extension. Photoshop 8 has it built in.

To work with Photoshop 6, simply use the Canon conversion
tool that came with your camera. Export the converted file
as a .tif and open it in Photoshop. The Canon converter is
a bit slow, but it does a very good job.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back