Shooting in Winter...what to do when it gets *really* cold?

Just a tip for usability of the camera. When not in use keep the batteries in your pocket. They freeze up and stop working very quickly.

If anything is likely to die purely from the cold (not condensation) it's the LCD screen. Even camera shutters these days are resilient to seizing, but and LCD will just die if it's cold enough.

Here's a list of damage from a large excursion to Antarctica:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/aa-07-worked.shtml
That was a nice read. I see that there were 5 Nikonians there with D200s and, there were no reported failures. :mrgreen:

I just really think Jerry needs to post some pics from his recent shoot. :)

Actually, I've heard this whole thing with condensation can be an issue, but I've never seen it. New England gets so freakin' dry in the winter... I wonder if that's why I haven't seen it.

'course now you KNOW I've jinxed myself and my camera will be splooging 20 gallons of water out of the seals tomorrow.

Just a tip for usability of the camera. When not in use keep the batteries in your pocket. They freeze up and stop working very quickly.

If anything is likely to die purely from the cold (not condensation) it's the LCD screen. Even camera shutters these days are resilient to seizing, but and LCD will just die if it's cold enough.

whew...

2132085183_172b230859.jpg

Well below freezing in a snow storm? No problem. Just put some film in your camera and crank that ISO up to 3200 (you don't want to waste time with a tripod, your toes'll freeze!)

ok, so if I understand correctly, you should put your camera in a plastic bag before you bring it into the house from the outside? Just want to make sure I'm reading this correctly.

Thanks

"Nikon

There were 5 Nikon users on the trip, with various bodies – mostly D200's. There were no reports of any Nikon problems or failures. "

bahahahaha...

To be fair... obviously most of the users were using Canon, but it was still funny. :)

EDIT: Whoops, I missed that Joves commented on this already. :)

Last edited:
That was a nice read. I see that there were 5 Nikonians there with D200s and, there were no reported failures. :mrgreen:

Don't missread the figures. He does state that it's quite likely D200s would have reported failures too if there was a larger sample. Still I own one and I can attest to the fact I have done a timelapse in the snow at 15 below and it was just fine.

Actually, I've heard this whole thing with condensation can be an issue, but I've never seen it. New England gets so freakin' dry in the winter... I wonder if that's why I haven't seen it.

It's not the outside weather that's the problem :) Not sure about England, but my grandma in Austria keeps her house reasonably humid with water canisters on the heaters. My lens fogged up really well one time when I just brought it straight in. Didn't clear for a good 20 min or so.

ok, so if I understand correctly, you should put your camera in a plastic bag before you bring it into the house from the outside? Just want to make sure I'm reading this correctly.

Not necessarily plastic, not even necessarily airtight. The idea is to allow the camera to heat up before it mixes with air. Plastic bags are by far the best option, but I have had perfectly fine results with just leaving the camera in my bag and NOT opening the bag for about 15-20 min after I bring it inside. This ensures that the air around the camera (in the bag) warms slowly and there isn't a sudden massive difference between the temperature of the camera and the temperature immediately surrounding the air. The exact opposite of what happens to a cold beer on a warm day.

It's not the outside weather that's the problem :) Not sure about England, but my grandma in Austria keeps her house reasonably humid with water canisters on the heaters. My lens fogged up really well one time when I just brought it straight in. Didn't clear for a good 20 min or so.

Actually, I'm in NEW England (Massachusetts). I guess I'm safe bringing cameras into my house in the winter... we run a wood stove in the place and it is BONE DRY... I should just be careful if I step into the local high school pool building. :)

It's all relative. Air that feels bone dry at 60 degrees F can still cause condensation on a surface at freezing point. If it really was dry, it would be very unpleasant to live in.

Best,
Helen

Yes. This will cause condensation to form on the outside of the bag instead of on your camera equipment.

I like to make the bag as airtight as I can. This doesn't have anything to do directly with condensation, but, indirectly, the less air there is in the bag, the less containment potential there is for moisture in that air.

ahaaaaa.... interesting fodder ... canon breakdowns...

"Nikon There were 5 Nikon users on the trip, with various bodies – mostly D200's. There were no reports of any Nikon problems or failures."

I live in Northern Canada.... it's uh... cold here a lot... I've never had issues... the only thing I do is try to keep my bag at the ambient temperature of the shoot... usually just keeping my bag in the trunk on the way to the destination is enough... if I'm going inside for lunch or something I leave my bag outside in the cold(trunk).... before I come in for the day I pop my card and battery so I don't have to unzip the bag for evening processing...

-Extreme noob alert-

please correct me if im wrong.

1)i can walk straight outside with my camera in my hand(no bag)
2)Shoot some photos
3)Put camera into airtight ziplock bag, outside(do i need to take battery out?)
4)Bring it inside, let it warm up(how long approx.?)
5)Then take it out of the ziplock and put it into the camera case.

Thanks for the help.

...oh how i hate winter haha

Most reactions

Back