shooting myself/stars problem

tron

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
okay this has been bugging me forever now. well for the past 2 weeks.

2 weeks ago i got my d40 and i love that thing to death. my 2 questions come as the following:

1. i have a makeshift studio in my room (white backdrop, ambient lighting, etc) and when i want to take a pic, i gotta put the self timer on since im taking a pic of myself. when i do that, the camera keeps trying to autofocus on the white backdrop and it wont 'lock' onto a focus point, it just keeps making that whirring sound. how do i set the timer on it, jump in front of the drop, and take a pic of myself? i know i can go get a remote but i just spent $850 for all my stuff so im strapped for cash.

2. in regards to shooting stars at night im having a similar problem. i tried using the 55-200vr lens for that and yet again the lens has a hard time autofocusing. it just keeps trying to search for something to lock onto. what am i doing wrong here?

1. Select "Single-servo" auto-focus (I believe the D40 has that option) or use manual focus.

2. Nothing - Just switch to manual focus.

Without getting into a long painful explanation, remember that the auto-focus feature on your camera is going to need something with a little bit of depth or contrast upon which to focus. It won't focus on a plain, white sheet of paper like your backdrop, nor is it likely to focus on stars.

I agree with tirediron. Most people who use DSLR's will never switch their cameras over to auto because it doesn't always do what you wan't it too. Just like now. Switch to M, it's manual allowing you to totally control your camera. Also switch to Manual focus, the switch should be on the side of the lens and then use a dummy to focus on when doing your makeshift studio. When it's in focus, jump in and you won't have to worry about the autofocus.

For the stars, same thing applies. I'd suggest a long shutter speed, wide open aperture, and 100 iso.

1. You could put an object in place where you would pose and focus on it then switch to manual focus and leave it there.

2. Also, you could switch to manual focus and put it to infinity.

thanks for the quick replies, that sounds like it will work. what does the single servo feature do?

Most reactions

Back