Shopping for a new entry-level enthusiast camera

BlueTropic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to replace my trusty Canon S2, even though it's still going strong and provide good enough results (for me). But after 10 years and 33000 clicks, I think it's time to retire it plus I want to climb up a notch... Been wanting a DSLR for years now but there was always more important things pulling the budget strings. But now I think it can be a possibility.

What I want a camera for:
  • For enthusiast use (non-pro)
  • Outside, nature, animals, car shows
  • Interior, kids, family
  • Eventually exterior sports

What I'm looking for:
  • Something durable, and somewhat future-proof. I prefer to hold onto my stuff for a long time if it pleases me, I don't want to have to change in 4-5 years or regret my purchase.
  • I wont collect lenses. I will for sure have the stock one plus a medium zoom (something like 55-200 to keep things affordable). Maybe eventually a macro and/or a really good walk-around.
  • Good FPS continuous shooting is a small plus
  • I never used the RAW format, but willing to give it a shot. I get along quite well with Photoshop.

Not important (I wouldn't pay more just for these features, but wont mind if it comes with the camera):
  • Video/movie quality (unless it reeeaaally sucks)
  • GPS
  • Wifi/Bluetooth

Now the eternal dilemna: DSLR or mirrorless?
So far, the cameras that stood out more for me are the Sony A5000/6000 and Nex-5T and the Nikon D3300. I know about the size/comfort difference between both kinds, but even with a mirrorless setup I will probably not pocket it and use a point-and-shoot when smallness matters.
Any winning argument or dealbreaker with the ones I retained, or any other suggestion?

Thanks!

No winning argument
Any modern camera will take decent pictures in any of the situations you listed.
People can list the cameras they've tried but you are getting anecdotes from people who haven't tried the entire range.
Find ones that have your features and fit your price range, then read the comparative reviews online
then pick the one that handles the best for you.

I like Nikon so will touch on that.
I'd say first price a D5300 with an 18-140 lens, then perhaps A D5500 with the 18-140. If that is still below your max price then look at the D7100 and then D7200 with two lenses.
The D5300 would meet your minimum requirements 100% but if you're looking to keep it for a very long time it's always a good idea to move up the line as far as your pocketbook will allow.
Obviously you can go full frame and spend many thousands but that didn't seem to be what you were looking for.

For your needs, I really think the Sony A6000 would be the way to go. It does everything you want and then some. I highly recommend you go to camera store and check them out in person and see what you feel comfortable with. You might prefer the D3300/5300 more because its a DSLR...but for what you want, I really think mirrorless is the way to go.

If you like the way Canon does their menus and how they produce images, you can check out the Canon direct sales department and head to their refurbished products. (Prices change weekly so keep looking until you find what appeals to you.) I used the "loyalty" program to trade in my ten year old XT for a refurbished Sl1 with what most reviewers consider the best overall kit lens Canon has yet to produce. By most accounts, the SL1 is capable of outputting image quality as good as (m)any of Canon's higher priced, consumer level DSLR's.

Nikon also has a refurbished department and they have a few less expensive models to choose from.

Just my opinion but, if you stay with the established brand names, you'll have better success with lens/accessory selection - both new and pre-owned - and better overall support from the forums/manufacturers. Canon also has several "hacks" available online which can provide additional features/functions to their consumer cameras.

While the kit lens that comes with the Sl1 is pretty good overall, a SL1 with an inexpensive Canon 50mm prime lens can be pretty difficult to top IMO. The package size would be tiny - too tiny for some but you need to hold and work with any camera before you make a purchase. The SL1 lacks an articulated LCD screen but that's not a persistent problem for those of us accustomed to optical viewfinders - which the SL1 includes. But, Traveler's right, most modern DSLR's in the consumer price ranges can accomplish what you've said you want.

I would encourage you to buy locally if you've shopped locally. Brick and mortar dealers are going under at an alarming rate and shopping locally and buying on line is what is killing them. I purchased on line simply due to the loyalty program and the final price which no one locally could begin to match. Locally, no one was interested in my ten year old camera in trade. One dealer told me to come back next week, he'd look around his shop and see if he had a SL1 in stock. If he did, then we could talk. Normally, I would spend the money to buy locally but I didn't find the local service to be a compelling reason in this case. So, do as I say, not as I do.

Buy a decent body and kit lens. Then begin to add your lenses as you see a requirement. When you truly feel the body or the lens is what is holding you back - this should take several years of shooting at least - invest in a better system.

No winning argument
Any modern camera will take decent pictures in any of the situations you listed.

:) Thanks. I just wanted some more "raw data" or facts, so I can make a list of finalists I can check out in detail and choose one among them. I'm also sure that I could achieve better looking photos with a 150$ brand new point-and-shoot than with my 2005-era S2, heck sometimes I'm having fun with my wife's pocket Samsung camera and she looks at me sideways when I get "artsy" with it. :D Then she gets angry when I hand it back to her and forget to put it back in full auto "smart" mode. :lol:

I like Nikon so will touch on that.
I'd say first price a D5300 with an 18-140 lens, then perhaps A D5500 with the 18-140.

Maybe a little bit on the pricey side, though I would love one of these for sure.

For your needs, I really think the Sony A6000 would be the way to go. It does everything you want and then some. I highly recommend you go to camera store and check them out in person and see what you feel comfortable with. You might prefer the D3300/5300 more because its a DSLR...but for what you want, I really think mirrorless is the way to go.

Camera stores are not abound in our town, and those who are don't seem to offer much variety. :( I have an apointment in another (bigger) city in a week, and I already looked out for the camera stores around here. I will ask for advices while I'm there, as well as try a few cameras that made my list. Mirrorless sure has it's advantages for me: size, subtleness... DSLR only seem to have its viewfinder as an advantage, and I don't even know it it's that important for me. I used it 50% of time on my S2, I can't say I really prefered it to the screen, it really depended on the situation. So the final decision seem to down on the grip and shooting position, viewfinder or screen (unless I get the A6000).

soufiej:
Will add the Canon SL1 on my list and check it out. I haven't hit the stores yet, I'm still reviewing the "specs", reviews and hard facts. Sadly, being in Canada we're getting raped on the prices, but the exchange rate being what it is lately, it's still not that a great bargain to buy South of the border. I don't mind paying a few bucks more (10% or so) to buy locally, but if I find a good offer online, well... :icon_redface:

Buy a decent body and kit lens. Then begin to add your lenses as you see a requirement. When you truly feel the body or the lens is what is holding you back - this should take several years of shooting at least - invest in a better system.

I hit the roof quite quickly with my S2, a few months after buying it I was really into the hobby and regretted to not have spent a few hundreds more to get a DSLR (Rebel 300/350D back then) from the start. In years my interest dimmed though, life brung other things that squeezed photo ops time out of my schedule, so I spent less time going on dedicated shoots, I stopped doing friendly online "contests" and shared my photos less and less. So the S2 stayed. But now I have regained interest, plus I want to be able to get decent looking pictures of my kids in all occasions. I am sure that with a good setup that I like, I could go through years, I'm far from a compulsive upgrader. :345: But I'm also a very careful, very thoughtful shopper/buyer especially for this kind of purchase and budget.

A little redundant now, but I'll always chime in and stress the importance of getting your hands on an assortment of cameras before you make your decision. Any good store will have a broad range of entry-level DSLR's and hopefully a knowledgeable employee or two. In the past I've found that camera store prices can be beat online; you could spend an hour playing with several cameras in store and head home and order what you liked from Amazon.

Here's my pitch as well. I'd go with either Canon or Nikon. If the Nikon D5100 bundle is a little pricey for you, check the Canon T5i. It should run a little cheaper and is a fine camera.

Well I visited two local "camera" stores today, and it was worse than I expected. Both were mostly selling accessories, the first only had 3 or 4 models of P&S on display and the other only had a Canon T5i to show off. The clerk here was very savvy though.

I decided to walk in *gasp* Best Buy to see if I could at least get a feel on some cameras, and surprise, they had every models I considered! A5000, A6000, D3300, D3500 and Canon SL1. It didn't take long for me to notice the difference in size! Mirrorless is really what I need. Don't get me wrong, entry-level DSLR are very capable, I've been lusting for one for a few years, and would have gotten one without hesitation if mirrorless hadn't come out. But the compactness is incredible.

I will check some (more decent) out of town stores next week, and have a chat with the clerks while there. Is it possible to actually snap a few shots with cameras in store, to get a good feel on features?

Best Buy is a great place to get a feel on cameras, they have many on display. There is a huge difference between these mirrorless systems and DSLRs. Most camera stores will let you take pictures with their display cameras, just bring your memory card and snap away. Good luck!

When you say you want to shoot animals and eventually outdoor sport can you give us a better idea of what is in your head for these subjects?

There are things that my DSLR does better than my mirrorless cameras, but not many & the size of the mirrorless makes it much more likely I'll have it with me. As has been said before the best camera for a shot is the one you've got with you. :)

why not a Pentax K-50 or even the new K-S2? They compare quite favorably, spec for spec with Canon/Nikon and are both weather-resistant....

When you say you want to shoot animals and eventually outdoor sport can you give us a better idea of what is in your head for these subjects?

Animals, mostly smaller wild animals and birds I come accross when hiking in nature. I wont be the kind to specifically go "hunting" for a shoot, or spend hours hiding in the hope to get a sighting, it's more of a casual, spur of the moment thing. I also don't "need" a super long zoom range, I rarely used the full extent of my Canon S2's anyway, except for snapshots.

Here are a few examples I took with my good ol' S2, forgive the low resolution since those were formatted to fit online friendly contests:

IMG_0365-8x6.jpg

IMG_5909c.jpg

IMG_5886.jpg

As for outdoor sports, it will be my son (4.5 years old) "playing soccer", maybe not this summer but in 2016 for sure.

why not a Pentax K-50 or even the new K-S2? They compare quite favorably, spec for spec with Canon/Nikon and are both weather-resistant....

Will check those out more in detail, thanks! I've been told about the K-50 yesterday, looks very promising.

I'm very happy with my Nikon D3300. It's basically the same camera as the D5300 but is $200 cheaper. The D3300 doesn't have the fold-out screen that the D5300 has, but I'm pretty sure almost everything else is the same, except the D3300's body is slightly smaller and lighter. Both shoot at 5 fps and have the same sensor, and come standard with a pretty good 18-55mm lens, though you can cough up another $150 and get the 55-200 mm lens in addition to that.

Nikon is getting ready to replace both the D3300 and D5300 with updated models, so you can get them at a discount. I tried both the D5300 and D3300 when I bought mine a couple weeks ago, and if I was going to do it again, I'd still buy the D3300, because you pay another $200 for basically a fold-out screen and nothing else significant.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back