Shots from Yesterday ( Graveyard )

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by BmDubb, Oct 23, 2009.

1. BmDubb

BmDubb TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Here a couple photos I took at a local graveyard, there are so many old graves from the 17 and 1800s. Alot of stones read like " 1821 - 1822 ". Very sad, but a neat place. Im thinking of cropping some of these. But I do like the Black and White. I think it suits the feel of these pictures... Looking for some CC and opinions. ( also, some ducks from the pond there as well ).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Interesting; C&C per req:

1. I think this just misses as a really dramatic image. The distant background is too bright in contrast to the trees and draws the eye to the back of the image. As well, while I do like selective colouring, I'm not sure it works in this application. I think a change of position to include just the older gravestones would have been better. As well, consider using longer rather than wider glass; this will result in a shallower DoF and a softer, less distracting background.

2. This is a tough shot; a more "frontal" view of the headstone would have been better, but would have made it harder to see the flag. I'm not sure if the flag adds anything; it's rather new and clean looking, and contrasts sharply with the age of the headstone.

3. This would have been much zoomed in more tightly on the ducks and just a few of the sticks I think.

Overall, some nice work and interesting ideas. Keep at it.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

3. BmDubb

BmDubb TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks man. Like I said, Im thinking about cropping the first tombstone picture. Where it showcases the older stones only. I got a front shot of the headstone with the flag, but I liked that angle better. Again I might crop it to get rid of some of the un-needed grassy space, and the reason I loved this shot was because the new flag, just lying there next to the old, deteriorating headstone seemed cool. The tombstone belonged to a soldier who died in the civil war. And the flag was just laying there. I thought it was cool.

Thanks for the CC. What do you think about cropping them? Yay or nay?

4. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Agree, but the problem is while you know about the civil war connection, the viewer doesn't. All we're seeing is an old tombstone.

I think a reshoot would be better than a crop; looking at the image you've posted, I don't see a really good way to crop it as composed.

5. BmDubb

BmDubb TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Right on man. Thanks alot. Its just a few minutes away.. So the next nice day I get, I will probably head out there. Some real cool stuff there.