Shots with new Flash; C&C request

rufus5150

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.toddmckimmey.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just picked up a 580 ex II the other day and have been (sometimes painfully) learning about the ins and outs of working with flash. So far most things have been using bounces while still on the camera but at least one of these shots (can't remember which, honestly) I used the off-camera cord.

Any and all comments welcome. Thanks!

#1 Pumpkin Cranberry Loaf
pumpkin_cranberry_loaf_5x7.jpg

#2 Jingle Bells
jingle_bells_qt_dg_5x7.jpg

#3 The (obligatory) Daughter
new_flash_1_4x6.jpg

I like your shots.
I'm feeling very inferior tonight seeing some great posts like this one.
Creative with your subjects and color, love the DOF on #1, just very interesting.

I like #1 the most. Perhaps its because of the knife. I think a larger DOF would fit this photo better. I would like to see everything in focus. The bread, the board, the name on the knife etc. This photo looks like something I would see in a Betty Crocker cookbook. Light feels as if coming from the top left of the photo; perhaps one of your off camera flash shots.

#2, a little... boring. Lots of wasted space on the bottom yet I know you were trying to achieve that "ROT" composition.

#3 Cute little girl. A good photo. This shows the works of your flash. Would be nearly impossible to achieve without a flash with those low light conditions.

Overall a good job imo. Just my 2 bit, newbie suggestions.

Thanks.

In #2 the ROT composition wasn't intentional. The color version, the colors actually stretch toward the bottom of the frame. I liked the tones in the BW and didn't change the crop. But it did turn out pretty ROT, didn't it?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back