Why did you buy YOUR camera???

sxesweets

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Why did you buy your camera? What sort of things did you take into consideration when you were making your decision? What is your day to day use? Did you worry about a warranty? Does your camera suffer much abuse in its day to day life?

Questions sorry. I'm trying to make a decision based on what I will be using the camera for and am curious to see what other people based their choices on. Thanks

WOW... fast! I get that just looking for a bit more info :)

I think i have the dumbest reason for spending all the money that I did on my camera. . .

My girlfriend and I went on a cruise that left out of Seattle. We got there 2 days early to see what Seatle had to offer before embarking on our cruise. Well, we spent the first day walking around taking pictures on my panasonic p&s camera. That night i went to charge the camera and realized that I left my charger back home in San Francisco. Yeah. Smart. So we went to Costco thinking i could buy another one just like it, use the charger and then return it all when the cruise was over. Well, they didn't sell that model so I figured what the hell. . .why not.

I had already made up my mind about buying a Canon XTi and i wanted to buy one before the trip but didn't want to spend the money. Leaving the charger was the "sign" that i needed to buy the camera. What was nice is that the camera came with 2 lenses, the regular 18-55 is camera and the 55-250 is lens.

Worked out great and i'm happy i forgot my charger. . .

When I bought my camera.....well the one I use today.

Back then All I had was a shoddy Kodak P&S, having had SLR experience this camera was verry dissatisfying so I set out to pick up a new SLR when I could not turn up my old one from my school days. What I looked for was:

• I desired a camera from the mid seventies early eighties, this was because I wanted something similar to what I knew a camera was, what I had experience with. It did not need to be the same thing I had but of the same era.

Condition
  • It had to be properly cared for and in working order.

That said, I found this and still use it to this day.

I have bought many cameras since then with much less thought but that is an entirely different subject.

To answer your other question about abuse, yes, my camera gets manhandled and wet all the time, but that is because I don't baby it. It is a tool and I use it to accomplish the goal no mater what the conditions around me.

I tore a tendon in my knee, which needed surgery...And that would make it my 3rd orthopedic surgery in 3 years. The doctors basically told me to stay away from playing sports, so I needed SOMETHING to keep me near the games. I went to a UConn Huskies basketball game with my dad the night before my surgery, and while my mind was wondering during pregame warmups, I noticed the cameras and photographers beneath the basket. Some had 2 or 3 of them with lenses of all different sizes and I immediately became fascinated.

I had the surgery a few weeks before Christmas...I ended up splitting the cost of a Nikon D50 package with my parents as my only Christmas present...Since then it has gone uphill. I have media credential to most minor league ballparks, and high school football games. I'm also one of the two student photographers at my College, which marks the first time I'm being paid to be a photographer.

So, to answer your question in basic terms...I bought the camera to give me something to do. If you keep with it, photography can be a great way to kill some time, and have fun while your doing it.

Our point and shoot died. We went to the camera store and while my then-not-quite-two year old daughter was frantically running around (politely, mind you, she's always been good in stores), I pointed at her and said I want a camera that can take a picture of that when she's doing THAT.

After reading through the camera manual, I picked up the Field Guide for it and read through that, and then spent the next month or so reading everything I could find on the web about how to use it, composition, using the creative modes, etc.

The warranty didn't play a huge part in the decision. The wife and I set a limit of $1000 and that's where we stayed.

I use my camera probably 6 days out of the week for still life and taking snaps of the daughter and the occasional birthday party for a friend or co-worker. I probably shoot about 200-1000 shots a week or so. I take care of it because, although we could afford to replace it, the ire of the wife would probably not be a pleasant thing.

I bought my camera because I am going to use it to take pictures. I mean, why does anyone else buy a camera? But the reason that I bought a Canon XTI instead of a cool pix point and shoot is because I wanted a camera that had the ability to let me take control and use it to take a dynamic range of shots and have them look excellent. I also already had a point and shoot camera and decided that I would need a better one. Hope this helps!

Why did you buy your camera?

I have several cameras all bought for different reasons; collection, technology, lack of technology, quality, size/weight, optics, film format all come to mind.

What sort of things did you take into consideration when you were making your decision?

Whether or not I will enjoy ownership/shooting with it and if I can budget for it. In general, I decide on an intended or specific use and find something that fits rather than a one size fits all.

What is your day to day use?

Pretty much anything that I see.

Did you worry about a warranty?

Nope. Also, most were purchased used.

Does your camera suffer much abuse in its day to day life

I don't intend to abuse my cameras and I try to take care of them. I've only dropped two photo items in my lifetime. The ones that I consider "users" see normal wear and tear without worry.

Sorry... probably not the info you are expecting.

I got back into photography for cathartic reasons. Got the Nikon D80 because it felt better in my hands than the Canon XT. Got the D300 because it felt even better than the D80.

I gently abuse my gear.

I borrowed my Dad's Canon A-1 for a photography class in high school. After a while I decided I wanted an AF SLR, so I got a Canon Elan 7ne. I got tired of scanning my images so I looked into dSLRs, decided that the 20D was a pretty good match for the Elan, so I got one of those. I pretty well disregarded the Elan after that, although that had not been my plan. After shooting with the 20D for a while I wanted a second body and an upgrade, so I went with the 1D mark II N.

I was tired of the slow shutter speed on my P&S, so I bought a DSLR. I wanted to get into the creative picture taking mode also.

Why did you buy your camera?
I was shooting a few Nikon D1X bodies when the D3 was announced. I had skipped the D2 series and felt that 2 generations was getting way too old to compete. (that's my story and I'm stick'in to it. explained below)

What sort of things did you take into consideration when you were making your decision?
The specs of the D3 were just so incredible, I choose to pre-order one as soon as possible.

What is your day to day use?
I have no set field of photography. The D3 in the past year has been used for studio and location portraits, land and city scapes, available light live performance capture and a wedding. Anything that captures my attention will get the cameras attention.

Did you worry about a warranty?
No, most electronics will fail in the first few hours of use. This camera is a tank and tolerated everything the D1X did for 6 years and more.

Does your camera suffer much abuse in its day to day life?
I pad my gear for transport in a pelican 1600, but when in use it does get used. Not abused but not babied either. A close look at it will show wear but not a beating. Never the less, the camera had tolerated everything from 98+ degree events to 18 degree treks and drunks wanting to "see" it while shooting a live band. (to the average drunk, seeing and grabbing from your hands are one in the same.)

Questions sorry. I'm trying to make a decision based on what I will be using the camera for and am curious to see what other people based their choices on.
My decision was more out of obsession and a lifelong love of photography than a rational need. If it has the Nikon badge on it and is "Pro-sumer" or above equipment, I have most likely handled it, fondled it, and thought about a way to buy it. With the D3, it was almost lust at first sight. Of course, my wife Cathy had to have a D300 for Christmas, just 'cause.

Quite welcome.

mine was a grad gift because i took some really neat shots with my parents powershot a560. so my parents and my extended family pitched in money and got my a200

Why did you buy your camera? What sort of things did you take into consideration when you were making your decision? What is your day to day use? Did you worry about a warranty? Does your camera suffer much abuse in its day to day life?

Questions sorry. I'm trying to make a decision based on what I will be using the camera for and am curious to see what other people based their choices on. Thanks

Well the why was simple for me - I wanted to capture photos of wildlife and a point and shoot was simply not good enough - that and I actually had the money for a DSLR

When purchasing not as much as I would were I to get one now. Simply put I went into the hobby with little understanding, and much of the research I did was tricky since things like focal lenght, aperture, ISO, noise - all meant little to me as I had never experienced or work with any of them before. Two things though were clear - the DSLRs at starting level were all very similar in what they offered - and canon had the cheaper long telephoto lenses :)

Day to day - its erractic. Sometimes it sits unused for a few weeks - other times its out for a few hours every so often - then it gets shutter abuse on a day trip out to a zoo. I more plan to go out with the camera than just carry it around on the offchance - its just too bulky.

Warrenty was not a problem - UK 1 years is standard, anthing long is a bonus, but not essentail.

As for abuse - I try to take care of my kit, though I have no illusions that getting out in the wilds will lead to bumps and scrapes, but I try my best to treat the kit right

Most reactions

New Topics

Back