Should I buy Nikon D300s?

itisgregory

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am THINKING of moving up from the Nikon D40x to the Nikon D300s. I own two Nikon lenses (18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 and 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6) but will be purchasing more.

I shoot mainly wildlife/landscape/nature in low light near sunrise and sunset times and will be doing HDR. I would GREATLY appreciate any comments/feedback from D300s users OR people knowledgeable about this camera.

Sincerely,
Gregory

It's definitely a nice camera, but I'll just ask - how is your D40x limiting your photography?

If the D300s offers something that will benefit you (such as a much better AF system, 9 shot auto bracketing and better high ISO performance) than yes, I think it would be a good move.

PhotoXopher-

The features that you mentioned are some of the more important features I need. You have helped to get me closer to making the D300s make sense for me.

Thanks!

In that case I definitely recommend it!

Plus the weather sealed body and available grip make this an incredible body. The frames per second are awesome as well, especially when capturing birds in flight.

Also, the in-body focus motor will open up your available lens options for older AF lenses.

I say no. Get the D90 body and a better set of lenses with the $800 you'll be saving. IQ is identical, so the only thing you'd be gaining on is framerate, build, and AF points.

I say no. Get the D90 body and a better set of lenses with the $800 you'll be saving. IQ is identical, so the only thing you'd be gaining on is framerate, build, and AF points.

And the AF 3d tracking abilities. While I've never used a D300/D300s, I have used a D90 a lot and the 3d tracking abilities are subpar to say the least. I haven't gotten a good shot and usually use single point for tracking objects....this of course limits the my composing of the shot since I'm stuck on the one single point. The D300(s) is much much better in this area from what I gather.

I would personally get the D300s or at the least a used D300. No sense in getting a camera that will possibly limit what you want to do right out of the box.

Going from a D40 to a D90 isn't really going to "upgrade" you that much. I say go ahead with the 300s. You know you will regret it if you don't.

You also gain dual card slots, I never realized just how useful this can be until I had it.

Also:
4 custom settings banks in 2 categories
Fine tune lenses
Setup old lenses so you can control them with the aperture ring, etc

There's a lot more to the D300s that meets the eye and I've only scratched the surface.

Going from a D40 to a D90 isn't really going to "upgrade" you that much. I say go ahead with the 300s. You know you will regret it if you don't.

this is completely fasle. its true that the d300s is a nicer camera with alot of feature but i had and d60 and went for a d90. its alot more of a camera compared to the d40 and d60.....

You are sooo right...lots of great features!

You also gain dual card slots, I never realized just how useful this can be until I had it.

Also:
4 custom settings banks in 2 categories
Fine tune lenses
Setup old lenses so you can control them with the aperture ring, etc

There's a lot more to the D300s that meets the eye and I've only scratched the surface.

True this is....

And the AF 3d tracking abilities. While I've never used a D300/D300s, I have used a D90 a lot and the 3d tracking abilities are subpar to say the least. I haven't gotten a good shot and usually use single point for tracking objects....this of course limits the my composing of the shot since I'm stuck on the one single point. The D300(s) is much much better in this area from what I gather.

I would personally get the D300s or at the least a used D300. No sense in getting a camera that will possibly limit what you want to do right out of the box.

Another vote for D90 and better glass.

- Same CMOS/ISO/Low Light between the 90 and 300 (big jump from the 40)
- Glass is your limiting factor at that point. Both bodies are going to depreciate bigtime over 4 years and your glass will hold it's own.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back