Should I Keep It?

fmw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.foodieforums.com
I enjoy buying and selling Nikon gear as part time hobby that brings in a little cash. I bought this lens with the intent of selling it.
nikon180side.jpg

The problem is that when you get one of the old metal barreled pro Nikkors and get wrapped up on its beauty and build quality after a couple decades of plastic lenses, I think it might be hard to part with. I went through my normal lens test routine. Below is a test image of my wife's garden wagon. If you look at the raw file and look at the actual pixels, the tiny label you see on the front of the wagon is pin sharp and quite readable.

testwagon.jpg

Nikon D7100, Calumet tripod, f8, aperture priority

So what do you think? It wouldn't take much to put this one on the shelf instead of the internet.

No you should not keep it,you should send it to me free.:biglaugh:

I would consider buying it. Such reminiscent rendering.

I had the first AF version of that lens and loved it.
I only sold it because I had picked up a 70-200 f/2.8 and was offered twice what I paid for the 180mm.

For the fun of it I shot the same subject later with a cheap Tamron 70-300 plastic lens set at around the 180 mark. The label was no longer legible. This happened later in the day when the sky was sunny. Earlier when I tested the 180 it was overcast. Nevertheless the 180 shows very obviously higher contrast and not a hint of color fringing like the Tamron. I realize this isn't a fair comparison but I don't have any modern fixed telephotos available at the moment with which to compare.

I only sold it because I had picked up a 70-200 f/2.8 and was offered twice what I paid for the 180mm.

I understand. I can sell this puppy for 2 1/2 times what I paid and that is what makes it such a painful decision. I guess I need to take it out for a day of shooting.

I understand. I can sell this puppy for 2 1/2 times what I paid and that is what makes it such a painful decision. I guess I need to take it out for a day of shooting.
I don't care for manual focus, so for me, profit = no brainer on this one.

When I was shooting news, the 180mm was my most beloved lens. Big, Heavy, Sharp, Fast and Beautiful. That puppy is in great shape. If I had that lens I's start looking for a film/manual focus body, either a F or a F3 ... Most likely an F.

I will make it simple.......................
If you own a 70-200mm 2.8 lens then sell it, if not then keep it (until you get a 70-200mm 2.8 lens).

If you own a 70-200mm 2.8 lens then sell it, if not then keep it (until you get a 70-200mm 2.8 lens).

I have an AF 80-200 f2.8D. This lens outperforms it. And it is smaller and a tiny bit lighter.

I don't care for manual focus, so for me, profit = no brainer on this one.

That is a reasonable position. I'll take it to the zoo tomorrow. I focused manually for decades and decades and still do even with AF equipment when the camera doesn't want to focus where I want it to focus. These lenses are so much better made that what Nikon sells today. My attraction to it is as much emotional as practical. It is a world of plastic zoom lenses. I understand. But lenses like this one are really special.

When I was shooting news, the 180mm was my most beloved lens. Big, Heavy, Sharp, Fast and Beautiful. That puppy is in great shape. If I had that lens I's start looking for a film/manual focus body, either a F or a F3 ... Most likely an F.

I sold 27 Nikon film bodies back in 2002 including an F Photomic and an F3 with motor drive. This lens is AI and works the same on my D7100 as it would on an F3 except those metering modes that involve the shutter. You are certainly correct. It is big, fast, sharp and beautiful.

I have an AF 80-200 f2.8D. This lens outperforms it. And it is smaller and a tiny bit lighter.
Yeah the 80-200mm 2.8 is a bit dated (still very good) lens.
Maybe its time for a modern 70-200mm 2.8 ?

I think this is more of a prime vs zoom which is a matter of personal taste, you will need to be the judge of that.
I am sure its smaller and lighter but it is also less optically convenience.
If it was f2 or f1.8 then it would potentially make an interesting portrait lens but at f2.8 its not more appealing then a good 70-200mm 2.8 lens

Most reactions

Back