Should I make the switch?

KaleyEs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey there everyone... I currently have the Nikon D40... I love it, but I didn't know until just recently when I was looking for more lenses that not all lenses AF with it... I have my eye on the 60mm nikkor lens which I am happy to use without AF, but I also thought that maybe I should upgrade to the D80... It has a similar lightweight feel which I like and I get the benefit of being able to use any lense I want with AF.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Kaley

How is the D80 smaller and lighter than the D40? In answer to your question, I think it would be wise to get the D80 because of all the lenses you could use with it.

If AF is important to you, I would upgrade - firstly because you will then have more lenses which autofocus, and secondly because the D80 has the more advanced AF system. (Plus of course there are the other advantages of a D80). Normally I don't recommend upgrading unless you're unhappy with what you have, but... 1) it sounds like the D40 is already limiting you in terms of lens choice, and, 2) if the D40 is going to be limiting you, it's better to sell it now rather than wait for its value to depreciate.

its all about cost isnt it really....

its an expensive upgrade... but (theres always a but :) ) there are many benefits other than the lens issue, and all good ones really

more MP you will get 10.2 instead of 6
more frames per second
more AF areas.. 11 instead of 3
max image size
D40 = 3,008 x 2,000
D80 = 3,872 x 2,592

ISO
D80 100 - 1600
D40 200 - 1600

you can Bracket shots on the D80 (HDR shots ;) )
D80 has Long exposure NR
the D80 also has a retouch menu built in, so you can crop or adjust redeye etc
Built in flash commander for speedlights
Depth of field preview button

as for size and weight though, the D80 is slighly bigger and heavier.... not as though you will notice though ;)

i would upgrade and keep the D40 as a second camera...

or just make sure you buy AF-S lenses for your D40.

or just make sure you buy AF-S lenses for your D40.

$$ money talks. The slow AF-S lenses are relatively inexpensive, but the faster ones are not, and there is no AF-S 50mm prime.

Thanks for all of your replies...

I thought about just using AF-S lenses, but I don't really like them, and the good ones are out of my price range. I think for now I'll buy the 60mm nikkor and just skip the D80... I will upgrade sometime, but I can live with no AF for a bit.

How is the D80 smaller and lighter than the D40? In answer to your question, I think it would be wise to get the D80 because of all the lenses you could use with it.

I didn't say it was smaller and lighter... I said it had a similar lightweight feel. It's not as heavy and bulky as the D50.

Most reactions

Back