Should I not bother shooting birds in this tree?

Parker219

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is a tree across the street from my house.

It is....weird. I dont know what kind of three it is, but as you can see it is a little crazy.

Does this tree distract too much to focus on the subject? Or if I can get lucky as in this case, and get the subject while it is not blocked by any of the treee, does the tree actually ADD to the photo?
Should I crop right above the hedge on the bottom?

BlueJay by Parker219, on Flickr

This is mostly a test to see a version without the local sharpness added to the bluejay. 1 to see if I can tell the difference once upload, and 2 to see which version looks better.

bluejay2 by Parker219, on Flickr

Bump for rush hour =-)

Is this a long zoom plus a crop out of a larger original already? It kind of looks like it --- which means you have little room to crop even further.
Plus the twigs are a big chaotic, so you were lucky with this one, as no twigs obstruct our view of the bird. But will this always be the case? And when the tree has leaves? So it might not be the perfect tree for bird photography, after all... :scratch:

If you luck out and get the bird facing the other way (mostly won't happen, since the branch orientation will likely make them prefer to sit this way) you might do better. But yeah, basically when they're up in the chaos, it's not likely to be very satisfying. Find a way to work with it, maybe. Little brown birds that hide in it better, maybe? Embrace the camouflaging effect?

Lafoto, I think it looks like it is already a crop because I played with it too much...the picture that is.

I am going to try the crop plus, a less messed with pic. I also ran it through a dejpeg process to clean up any artifacts.

Amolito, you are right, they always face the way this one is. I was going back and forth on whether a camouflage bird or a bright colored bird would look better in this chaos as well.

Bluejay4 by Parker219, on Flickr

Most reactions

Back