7D Mark II

16-35 f4L IS
Sigma 20mm f1.4 Art
Canon 35mm f1.4L
Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art
Canon 85mm f1.2L
Canon 100mm f2.8L Macro
Canon 100-400L II

I love my 85L. It focuses super slowly and the DOF is razor thin at 1.2, but when get a portrait photo in focus it is amazing what the 1.2 can do. The 85L currently is my go to lens for portraits.

However, I have been thinking about getting the 70-200 f.28 II. Even though I have never used it, I have read a lot of people say that it is also a fantastic portrait lens. So the 70-200 could potentially replace the 85 as my portrait lens, but then also be more versatile for other uses as well? I would love to keep the 85 and buy a 70-200, but I can't afford it right now.

Any opinions from someone that has used both?

No, you should give it to me and then you can get the 70-200mm, lol.

That's a tough one. I have used both but not the 85 enough to get super comfortable with.

Yes, sell it, get the zoom. From a dispassionate observer's point of view, your statement above makes me think that you'd really be better off with a quality 70-200 f/2.8 Canon-branded zoom.

"I love my 85L. It focuses super slowly and the DOF is razor thin at 1.2, but when get a portrait photo in focus it is amazing what the 1.2 can do. The 85L currently is my go to lens for portraits."

A manufacturer's 70-200 f/2.8 premium zoom lens is much,much,much more-versatile than a fast-aperture, bulky, heavy, slow-fopcusing prime lens.

ANY 85mm is just a single focal length lens. The fact that it's hard to hit focus with it, and that it's focusing is glacially slow means the lens will miss far more often than a Canon L-series 70-200. no matter what model you get.

I won't sell it if I were you. Instead I would some way to get 70-200. I have both and imo 70-200 can't replace 85L for what it does. The 85L when used properly, produces super silky smooth brokeh with the subject looking ready to pop out (sort of three dimensional), have never seen the 70-200 able to achieve the same. Smooth brokeh at 2.8 ? Sure but the subject tends to appear flat compared to 85L.

That's just my opinion by the way and it's based on what each lens produces. That said Depending on your use and requirements replacing 85 with the 70-200 may be a practical decision.

By the way, do you have 85L I or II ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would sell it and get the 70-200 mkii and a 85 f/1.8. However, if you don't feel the 85 f/1.8 is going to keep you happy, wait for the Sigma 85 ART that hopefully comes out this year.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back