Should I sell my D90?

cowleystjames

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Getting a D7100 today and can't make my mind up as to whether I sell the D90 or keep it as a second body.
Quite a few D90 for sale around here so doubt I'd get a great price, but not sure why I'd need a second body.
Anybody want to contribute with ideas?

If you ever plan on doing paid photo shoots, I recommend you hang on to it as a backup. If not, and you have no one to gift it to such as a spouse, child, sibling, etc. to get them started in photography, then I'd sell it.

I was in the same situation with my D90, when I bought my d600, the price was so ridiculously low on what I can have for it, that I decided to keep it.
Here are some of my ideas to keep it.
- Lend it to my husband so he does not find it boring when I start taking pictures
- Teach what I know about photography to the kids I work with. (two more cameras would be needed)
- Bring to areas that are not so trustable (Went to Montreal 2 weeks ago and had my car broken in)
- For informal photos, just to sell stuff and things like that...
- I am sending my D600 for clean-up of the sensor, I will not be without a camera.
- Because it was my first DSLR and do not want to part with it!

It's honestly not even worth trying to sell. I've got mine for sale on the low end and no one wants it.

I guess I made my mind up that I wasn't going to part with it, I do love the camera and I'm so used to it. I even considered taking it diving , Ikelite make one for the D90 at a not too expensive amount of money.

I'd sell it. It's just going to collect dust for years and in the unlikely event you'll ever need a camera as a back up you can just rent a better camera for a day or week. In a few years that camera will be obsolete and you won't likely even want to shoot with it. The reason I say this is in my household a D80 was kept and it's just collecting dust and has been for many years.

you could always put it on the market and see what you get, you're in a prime spot that you dont NEED to sell it, so if you get a good offer at a reasonable price, then yeah you could sell it and use that money for some glass or rent or something. if no one makes any fair offers, then yeah, keep it around...

unless you are doing paid shoots....then without a doubt keep it until you have another backup.

Decided to keep and get waterproof housing.
Anyone on this forum any experience in this field?

Sent from my HTC One X+

My quick tip:

When you are selling a D90 your target buyer is somebody looking to get into photography for the first time. You will sell it faster if you include one lens. I've had the best luck with the Nikon 50mm 1.8D (~$70-80 used) or the 18-55mm (~$60 used).

A used D90 body should sell for ~$450 (Nikon refurbs are $499 right now)... Include a 50mm 1.8D and you should be able to sell it for $550.

The 50mm 1.8D is great because: Everybody is told they need a prime when they are starting out. People upgrading probably don't have that lens (doesn't work on lower body's). Its super cheap and easy to find :).

Just my .003c advice :)

I've got an old D40 body that I never use and I keep thinking I should sell this and get something else that I would use. But, I find that I never want to part with it because (i) it's great for backpacking trips when I don't want to carry something much larger, and (ii) it truly does produce really good images. It's also my only backup, not that I think it's a "true" backup to my D90 because the performance is not there, but still...

I'd keep the D90. Great camera.

Thanks to you all for your input.

Sent from my HTC One X+

Sell it and dont look back.
Before getting my D7000 I had a Sony a300, sold it and then got the D7000.
It was good for its time but I really dont need it.
I do have the Canon G15 for a second backup camera but I really wouldnt see the need for a second DSLR.

I would sell it, especially the D90 used price is dropping ever since the D7100 was out. BTW, I agree with the other poster, it will be easier to sell if you include a lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back