Shutter Noise

CNCO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So this afternoon I am watching the Masters. I noticed that there are plenty of photographers right next to the tees. I am assuming that they are taking images when the player swings. What do they do about the shutter noise?

Nothing. On an SLR it's an electro-mechanical device. It makes noise. That noise doesn't travel very far and it is something that people like athletes don't notice.

It's not usually shutter noise that is loud, but rather the mirror in your camera bouncing around. If you need to be very quiet you'll need either a rangefinder (no rapid return mirror), or a point and shoot.

I actually find it funny that many point and shoots have internal speakers which make a shutter noise when you push the button :lol:

So this afternoon I am watching the Masters. I noticed that there are plenty of photographers right next to the tees. I am assuming that they are taking images when the player swings. What do they do about the shutter noise?

They can't do anything about the noise, they just have to hope the players don't mind.

I think I was watching some golf a couple years ago and someone yelled at the press to stop taking photos because it was disturbing. :lol:

Pro golfers have a MAJOR attitude about shutter noise. The PGA Tour has a very well-known protocol that does NOT allow a shutter release during the backswing, and all photographers are supposed to wait until the ball has been contacted by the club or putter, before releasing the shutter. PGA golf is full of stories about top golfers (and their caddies) talking to photographers who violate this rule, going back decades. A few years back, John Daly suffered a shoulder injury when a spectator's flash went off and Daly awkwardly pulled his backswing--and hurt himself! PGA golfers are actually as a whole, kind of anti-photographer.

thanks everyone, i was wondering what they do to avoid this but i guess that it can't be done.

I actually find it funny that many point and shoots have internal speakers which make a shutter noise when you push the button :lol:

That is now a requirement for the manufacturers and one that can't be turned off on new cameras and cell phones (or so I heard) b/c of creepy people taking shots of scantily clad women in gyms/spas, etc so that the subject has some knowledge that they were just photographed.

That is now a requirement for the manufacturers and one that can't be turned off on new cameras and cell phones (or so I heard) b/c of creepy people taking shots of scantily clad women in gyms/spas, etc so that the subject has some knowledge that they were just photographed.
Nah! That's just an urban legend.

a) only accredited media photographers can shoot thurs-sunday at most professional golf tournaments. The public can shoot on wednesday which is their practice rounds, but any kind of photography by the public on thurs-sun is prohibited

b) photographers are not allowed to begin shooting during address or backswing, only can start when the club hits the ball.

If they ever make it mandatory, People of Walmart will be much more boring, or interesting depending on the reaction when the shot is taken.:lol: :lmao:

This can even be an issue at tennis matches when the photographers are a pretty good distance away. Players sometimes get pissed if the photogs start bursting during thier toss..

You don't hear the Footballers or Rugby Players or the American football players complaining about the intense amount of noise from the crowd.

Some of these "athletes" need to man up!

I usually wrap my camera with Pink Panther Insulation. It gets itchy after awhile, but really cuts down on the sound.

Most reactions

Back