shutter speed info?

gtaylor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is the "rule of thumb" actually this:

1/focal length; i.e., for a 200mm lens , the fastest shutter speed should be 1/200?

I find that trial and error usually gets me the results I want, but I'd like a somewhat definitive method to assure "stop action" shutter speed.

thanks

Is the "rule of thumb" actually this:

1/focal length; i.e., for a 200mm lens , the fastest shutter speed should be 1/200?

I find that trial and error usually gets me the results I want, but I'd like a somewhat definitive method to assure "stop action" shutter speed.

thanks

That rule of thumb is valid for 35mm film and professional SLRs with 24X36mm sensors. With consumer digital SLRs that have smaller sensors, you want to multiply the focal length by 1.5 before you apply the rule.

Also, this is not a rule-of-thumb for the "fastest" for stop action but for the "slowest" that a normal human being can hold a camera steady.

That rule of thumb is valid for 35mm film and professional SLRs with 24X36mm sensors. With consumer digital SLRs that have smaller sensors, you want to multiply the focal length by 1.5 before you apply the rule.

Also, this is not a rule-of-thumb for the "fastest" for stop action but for the "slowest" that a normal human being can hold a camera steady.

That's exactly what I needed to confirm. gracias!

Strong factors to also consider will be:
- equipment (ie tripod or not)

- if no tripod, photographer teechnique and ability to hold a camera well (ie: steady hands, leaning against a wall, etc...)

- VR or IS to stabilize imgages.

These factors will also severely impact how slow you can go before images start to blur more than an acceptable level.

In general, i try to keep my shutterspeed atleast at 1/125th of a sec when im holding it.

On a tripod i try for at least 1/60th of a sec if the object im shooting is standing still, otherwise 1/125th of a second!

You may actually mean this, but in the example you provided, 200 is not the fastest, but the minimum recommended for that focal length.

I also think he ment the minimum speed

Most reactions

Back