Shutter Speed please help.

1000DUser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
HI everyone. im new here. i use canon 1000D and i've read that your shutter speed shouldnt be lower then your focal lense because it causes the image to blur, but i have a IS lense which helps and doesnt make the image blur does that mean i can go on a low shutter speed? because if i want to take a moving object indoor / outdoor i go on a high shutter speed about 1/60 my image comes out very dark, is there anyway to solve this either then using the built in flash? as i also heard the built in flash ruins pictures so i dont use it is this true?

and one more thing, if i buy an speedlite / external flash unit, when it take pictures outdoor should i just higher the shutterspeed to about 1/60 since there is day time, if it is night i would lower the shutterspeed or use a speedlite and lower the ISO to about 100-200 or should i do i also use the external flash unit as i thought the external flash unit is only for indoors? could someone please explain a lil lost here, also kinda new to photography.

IS will ONLY get rid of camera shake. If your subject is moving, it will still be blurry if you let the shutter speed get too low.

It doesn't sound like you fully understand how shutter speed, aperture, and ISO work together. This is not something that I can explain in one post...

Do some searching here, and some googling for stuff like 'exposure triangle' or 'basics of photography' (that probably won't turn up anything useful here (the terms are too common), but you should get a lot of results on google).

For starters - read this:
The Exposure Triangle – In Beginner Speak “The End of Auto Mode” Fletch’s Photo Blog

for still images, and i wanna go on high shutter speed. will it help if i buy a speedlite? thanks for your advice btw :) and yes i do not get how they work together i only know how they work individually, thats why i usually let the camera auto set the apeture. :(

Yes, that would help.

If you need a faster shutter speed, there are pretty much only 3 ways to get it.

1 - Open up the aperture
2 - Raise the ISO
3 - Get more light

You can only open the aperture so much (and sometimes you don't want it wide open), and the more you raise the ISO, the more noise you get...

I havent really understand the apeture part, couldnt seem to understand it. but for indoors i only want my ISO at 800 as at 1600 which is my maximum it looks very grainy. also can speedlites be used outdoor? or just setting the ISO at 100 and getting the shutter speed higher is enough? btw just wondering how does a higher shutter speed help a non moving image? thanks in alot for your response!

You can use flash indoors or out. Not really going to get into it too much right now (because it really is a huge subject to get into), but just know that it is possible. There is tons of material online about how to do it.

btw just wondering how does a higher shutter speed help a non moving image?
If nothing in the frame is moving, high shutter shutter speed will help avoid camera shake if shooting hand-held.

If you're shooting from a tripod, shutter speed doesn't really matter (assuming that nothing in the frame is moving).

I think this book will help you to understand exposure.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003/]Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera (Updated Edition)…[/ame]

Most reactions

New Topics

Back