Shutter Speeds and Flashes

guitarlp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've been playing around lately with my new flash 430EX I think it is... and I've been adjusting the shutter speed to see the different shots I can create.

By Default I think the camera usually chooses a shutter speed of 1/60. I tried this and it looks the best color wise. When I jumped up to 1/500 the image looked a little sharper but the colors weren't as vibrant (skin tones became lighter instead of looking natural).

Is there a set rule like 1/60 is (in most cases) the best shutter speed to use when using a flash? When you guys/gals use a camera flash or shoe mounted flash what do you normally set your shutter speed to and why?

All if this is when the camera is hand held and indoors.

This is all about balance.

A flash burst is only about 1/1000s long, so at 1/60s you're allowing plenty of time for the camera to capture the natural lighting and end up using less of the flash, or it's averaged out more. At 1/500s you're using far more of the flash's power and relatively less ambient lighting which will change the look of your photos.

When shooting indoors, I use 1/125s simply because 1/60s is still too slow to capture my 9 month old who doesn't know to hold still. And that still gives a nice ambient light look to the photos and doesn't look flashy, which I hate. For adult people shots who might be posing as a group, 1/60s is fine.

This is all about balance.

When shooting indoors, I use 1/125s simply because 1/60s is still too slow to capture my 9 month old who doesn't know to hold still.

I know that story. I have a 6yr old who can't hold still either......:D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back