Sigma 10-20mm ? ? ? confusion

Draken

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.earthscape.110mb.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok so im thinking of getting this lens as everywhere i look says its very good, but my problem lays with filters. being that this is an extreme wide angle lens and i take alot of shots of water which requires a ND filter and i also want to get a ND grad and polarizer how does this affect the picture (having filters i mean) ?. cause i have also heard people say you basically cant have filters on this lens but my local camera shop says i can ? im really confused could someone please enlighten me on the subject ?

many thanks,

Mike. :wink: :thumbup:

You absolutely can put filters on it. I have UV filter, a cokin wide angle filter holder with a graduated ND filter (it has to be thin or it will vignette) and I have a polarizer (polarizers can do some weird things to the sky on ultrawides)

Ive taken shots of water, you dont need a ND filter. Only if its bright outside. Ive taken a water shot at 5AM (no direct sunlight) and a light shot (lit up by street lights etc; a fountain)

oh ok thats good to hear but i like to take long exposures of water so thats why i require a ND filter :wink:
also could you guys recommend some good thin filters to use just a ND8 and would it be better to get a UV or a Polarizer since the latter does weird things ?
does it matter too much to have polarizer will i reaelly miss it that much?

thanks guys

for a circular polarizer, you need a 77mm filter, slightly larger than average but they can be found. For a cokin style ND or Graduated ND filter, get the "Z" sized filter and holders and not the smaller "P" sized. The Cokin P size will give you vignetting, you can still use the lens, just not to its full wide focal length, but down to about 12-14mm. With the slightly more expensive and larger Cokin Z system(you can also buy other brands to fit the holders), this should not be a problem.

whatever filters you want to get that don't screw directly onto your lens you will need the Z sized filter holder if you want the type of ND8 or Nd Grad filter that is the piece of glass you slip in front of the lens. Alternatively you can just get the filter and hold it with your hand in front of the lens. I have done that before when I was too lazy to set up the rest of the holder system. There is a chance you will fumble and drop it though, and I found out the hard way they are quite delicate.

Most reactions

Back