Sigma 135 1.8 ART on a crop sensor?

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I want to add this lens to my collection because I really like the quality of the photos it seems to put out. I think it'll help set me apart from some of the other photographers doing portrait work around me.

I don't yet have a full frame body, and I'm not positive I'll be buying one in the near future.. it depends on what the D850 ends up being.

That being said.. what are your opinions of the sigma lens on DX? Works out to roughly 200mm equivalent and I'm not sure if that's just too long if I end up just staying on DX.

Let me know what you think.

I have not used this lens. I own a few Sigma lenses and am a bit of a fan. I wish I owned the lens you are currently lusting for.

I believe that 135 is an ideal focal length for portraits - on a full frame camera. I believe that it is not at all that great on a DX body.

I have used a 135 in the past and it produced some fantastic images on full frame cameras, but I just can't see using it on a D500. You just won't get everything out of it that it is capable of. I have a D500 and a D750 and if I ever put my hands on a 135 I wouldn't even consider mounting it on the D500. Not saying it wouldn't work just saying that as a D500 owner it is not something I would have considered.

Something else to think about - if you sprung for the Sigma 135 now and then fall in love when the D850 is released, would the purchase of the 135 delay your purchase of the D850? I'm just thinking of all the cash you are going to have to come up with if your dreams all come true. I might consider saving money up for the D850 then if it doesn't meet expectations and you stay DX the decision about the 135 can be rethought.

Last edited:
I had the 200mm f/2 VR-Nikkor for over a decade...LOVED the defocused backdrops it gavem and the compression of faces, distance, etc, but the lens was sooooo big and heavy and front-weighted that it sat around wayyyy too often.

As I see it, Nikon created the new 105mm f/1.4 to replicate the OOF degree of the 200/VR, but in a smaller,lighter,more-handy,more-maneuverable, less-costly lens.

I look at the 135/1.8 ART as the alternative to the 200/2 for crop-body uses.

Will it be long? YES, but that's what it is...it will give you a lot of defocus on your outdoor bacgrounds, and the lens will have the ability to go from out of focus foreground, to the in-focus zone, and then to quickly transition to the defocused zone behind the point of focus; I see this as a GOOD lens to buy, for both APS-C and for FX uses.

IS 135mm "too long" on APS-C? NO, not really....a 70-200/2.8 or 70-200/4 zoom len s is considered pretty standard....135mm is much shorter than 200mm, so.

I dunno...a GOOD 135mm lens (I have owned multiple over the decades) is a VERY handy lens to own! No matter if you're shooting DX or FX.

I have not used this lens. I own a few Sigma lenses and am a bit of a fan. I wish I owned the lens you are currently lusting for.

I believe that 135 is an ideal focal length for portraits - on a full frame camera. I believe that it is not at all that great on a DX body.

I have used a 135 in the past and it produced some fantastic images on full frame cameras, but I just can't see using it on a D500. You just won't get everything out of it that it is capable of. I have a D500 and a D750 and if I ever put my hands on a 135 I wouldn't even consider mounting it on the D500. Not saying it wouldn't work just saying that as a D500 owner it is not something I would have considered.

Something else to think about - if you sprung for the Sigma 135 now and then fall in love when the D850 is released, would the purchase of the 135 delay your purchase of the D850? I'm just thinking of all the cash you are going to have to come up with if your dreams all come true. I might consider saving money up for the D850 then if it doesn't meet expectations and you stay DX the decision about the 135 can be rethought.

I have a few side jobs coming up - photography and otherwise - that will cover the D850 completely.

This lens will be paid for largely by the sale of my Tamron 150-600 G2.

I've always lusted after the Nikon 200 f/2 and this would give me the equivalent of that lens when on my D500. Something I'll use every day? Nope. But would certainly be nice to have when you need something long and fast.

I'm thinking that this lens on my D500 and say.. a 24-70 or wider prime on a FF body would make a nice wedding combo and produce unique images.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back