I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was looking for a not-horribly-expensive wide angle zoom for the D600's since my Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is a DX lens.
Picked up a Sigma 17-35 D f/2.8-4 EX for $175 on ebay in mint condition. not a mark on this lens, glass or barrel.
its not the newest of the Sigma line, but it is an EX. Focus is quick, zoom ring feels nice and smooth, and seems overall to be a nice lens.
Its obviously not a constant aperture like its more expensive counterparts, but from 28mm up I have that covered with another f/2.8 zoom, and i really needed it more for the wide end anyway.
Plus, it was $175, which is pretty cheap.
I haven't done any real shooting with it yet except for some test shots before leaving ebay feedback for it, but so far i am pleased with its performance. I don't see it getting a lot of use since its not really an ideal portrait length, but i wanted coverage on the wide angle end anyway.
I would recommend it to anyone wanting a somewhat fast wide angle zoom for full frame, but doesn't have $800 to drop on constant f/2.8 lens.

_DSC3176.jpg

_DSC3177.jpg

_DSC3178.jpg

_DSC3179.jpg

That's an excellent idea, Pix!!
I'm in the same boat. Keep looking at the 17-55 or that range f/2.8s, but deciding it's just not enough of a priority to spend that kind of money on right now. But like you, what I really need is that 17-28 range with the f/2.8, just for a few occasions. Might have to put this one on my short list!

That's an excellent idea, Pix!!
I'm in the same boat. Keep looking at the 17-55 or that range f/2.8s, but deciding it's just not enough of a priority to spend that kind of money on right now. But like you, what I really need is that 17-28 range with the f/2.8, just for a few occasions. Might have to put this one on my short list!

we rarely use focal lengths under 50mm, and rarer still over 200mm. Actually, i don't even have any lenses longer than the 70-200 f/2.8 anymore. Still, I felt like we should at least be able to cover a wide area if needed at some point.
this seemed like a pretty good compromise. its still pretty fast at the wide end, and it didnt cost me $600+.
its built really well. I guess EX is sigmas "pro" line? whatever...its built really well. Im pretty pleased with it, and if im out shooting with it in reasonable lighting conditions, i can always treat it like a constant f/4 lens. I like the noise handling a little better on the D600 than the D7100. I think getting a second D600 instead of keeping the D7100 as the backup was a good idea.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back