Sigma Lens??

CW Jones

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am just looking at lens prices and I noticed the sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 Auto focus lenses are pretty cheap... like under $200

decent starter lens?? yes no? I know you get what you paid for but I also see a lot of people on here saying that have that lens in there signature... just trying to get a feel for what a good lens is... I know "L" lenses are better... but I dont have that kind of money haha

if you've got a low budget, then yes, its a decent lens...

Its really not a bad lens. It does have its weakness at longer focal lengths. 70mm to 135mm seems to be its sweet spot.

These are with the 70 - 300
2831989751_26e39934d6_o.jpg

2833289435_cafe7a060a_o.jpg

2878518434_0d49f38a25_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3078/2833289435_cafe7a060a_o.jpg

It's a decent consumer-grade lens. The only concern I have is that there are many reports of varying quality amongst Sigma lenses.

not really I think - those lower level lenses are never outstanding, but they are good places to start as they don't put a lot of pressure on the budget and yet offer a lot of features - letting you play around and see what you do and don't need.
I would be tempted to say go for the sigma for its macro feature - its not proper macro but it can do a very good job of flowers and similar sized subject (infact with a tripod under it this is about its strongest area in my view).
Also if you can the Sigma 70-300mm APO edition of the lens is noticably sharper than its cheaper former model (no APO glass coatings) and if you can afford that then go for it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back