Signing a print

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, probably a silly question, but a person purchased one of my larger prints and asked me to sign it. I've never signed a print before, so I don't know where is appropriate to sign. Do I sign on the print itself or the matte? Or does it matter? Granted if the photo is ever re-framed with a new may then the signature would be lost.

Also, is it more appropriate to date the image with the date it was captured or the date it was printed for the customer, or is that just preference?

This is new territory for me and I have no idea if there is already established etiquette for this sort of thing. Thoughts?

I sign on the back with a large signature. If asked I would also sign more delicately on the front. No point in signing the matt.

Ok, probably a silly question, but a person purchased one of my larger prints and asked me to sign it. I've never signed a print before, so I don't know where is appropriate to sign. Do I sign on the print itself or the matte? Or does it matter? Granted if the photo is ever re-framed with a new may then the signature would be lost.

Also, is it more appropriate to date the image with the date it was captured or the date it was printed for the customer, or is that just preference?

This is new territory for me and I have no idea if there is already established etiquette for this sort of thing. Thoughts?
I'm not a pro, so I will express my opinion as that of a customer.

When you sign the back, include as much information as possible, including the date, location, camera settings, your contact information, the subject, any other observations that you can think of. Do all the writing in pencil, not ink of any kind that might bleed through.

If the customer wants your signature on the front, oblige them by signing in one lower corner of the image, preferably in a place that is uncluttered. Get one of those paint pens that don't bleed, and choose a color that is noticeable but not garish. They come in gold and silver, and possibly other nice colors.

I recall a rather lengthy discussion about the topic of print signing, on Mike Johnston's blog The Online Photographer. There are advocates for signatures on the front and on the reverse of prints. I think the desire to have a signed print is to differentiate it from A lithographic reproduction or what is these days commonly called a poster. Some people might consider a front signature more desirable than one that's on the reverse. I know the common terms front and reverse are typically used in Latin form among those people who care a lot about signed prints. For today's decorator art, I've actually seen fairly large signatures done (some even done in gold metallic ink!) which, I guess makes it very clear and very obvious that the work is not a poster but is an actual photographic print of one type or another.

I think it might make sense to actually ask your friend what the preferred form of the signature might be.

I sign mine all the time....scrap, my new name at the photography club, at least I graduated from "keep practicing"

Sent from my XT1254 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

If you sign on the back be sure NOT to use a ballpoint pen. It will dent the paper and may damage the front. I would suggest to the new owner that I sign the photo on the back and the matt on the front - but their preference....

Use an archival ink pen so that it does not cause any issues with the print. People want to see the signature so putting it on the back just does not sound right. I always sign mine on the front in the bottom right corner, same place most painting are signed.

All of my signed prints are mounted and matted.
The image is on print paper that is bigger than the image.
The extra, blank paper border serves as an aid to mounting the print so a mat and glazing can be place in front of the print.
The mat window is cut larger than the image so I can sign on the front of the of the print paper in the blank border that is exposed by the mat window. I don't sign on the image itself.

Note: The mat and glazing help the longevity of the print.
The mat is there for 2 reasons:
• Presentation,
• and to keep the print from contacting the glazing.

Even using museum grade mount and mat materials, the mount and mat become acidic over time as they absorb acidic contaminants from the air, and if the mount and mat are not replaced the longevity of the print will be diminished.

That's what I've usually seen in shops/galleries, art co-ops, etc. - what Keith described. I've also seen the photographer info. attached to the back.

I use a photo safe pen but can't offhand think of the brand name, meant to use on 'wet' prints but it works on digital prints too. I don't sign when I've done submissions to juried exhibits.

Thanks for all the replies. Based on what I'm hearing, and what the buyer thinks, I'll sign the print itself in the lower right corner with a paint pen of some sort. I'll have to research what is safe for the prints. I also like the idea of adding additional info on the back about the image, so I may do that, too.

Any print leaving my hands I sign in big print on the back to be safe. No one ever sees the back really so it does not matter. Signing the matte is only relevant if the picture never gets re-framed but I do it when I frame them myself. Some times I name the print in the left corner of the matte. I have yet to sign the front of a print.

Regards
Dave

Most reactions

New Topics

Back