Silly Mistakes In Photography.

Last month I was playing with my view camera.

View cameras are super complicated to operate.

At least you didnt lose a short, like with removing the dark slide before closing the shutter.

My favorite mistakes are when I'm trying to shoot the stars and it takes me WAY longer than it should to realize my lens cap is still on. (THAT'S why it's so dark!)
lol...this does happen...

I am the mistake in the equation 99% of the time.

What I've done.

Left camera set up for a studio shoot with too slow shutter, too small an aperture ISO locked to 100.
I have to continuously check the AF or Image stabilization as I have a tendency every once in a while to bump the switches.
Lens cap on.
Diopter on the eye piece bumped, this one made me think I REALLY screwed up my camera. lol
Left camera set up for wildlife and blew out the first few pics in the studio.
Near dead battery and was SURE I put spares in my pocket.......ya camera died.
Left the battery grip turned on and took a couple hundred close up photos of the car door when I put it down.
Thought I'd taken all the photos off of the camera. I format every time I go out. Didn't take the photos off. Lost a whole days worth of shooting. Still trying to get a shot of a bird I saw that day....still haven't gotten one yet.
Overexposed due to some mental lapse.
Under exposed do to some mental lapse.
Forgot the camera in the garage on a -25C evening.

And just about everything else you can think of.
If it's dumb I've probably done it.

All you can do is use it as a learning or point and laugh experience.

Another one i wont forget is driving 35 minutes one away trying to get somewhere early then realize the only battery i had was in the charger in the wall at home. I probably can come up with more but these have to be the dumbest mistakes i have made camera related.
Hi DARKSHADOW, I relate to your incident of forgetting the battery on charger .. same thing happened to me, the difference was that I was 3 hours flight away from my home! I just could not help but leaving the camera in my bag after reaching the destination and click pictures with my iphone for the family event! I was blaming the camera brands why they make their individualised batteries which can't be replaced with a simple AA sized batteries available everywhere or any other camera model (even if same brand camera) of any friend. I learnt from this mistake and now I make sure battery is back to its slot after charging!

Another one i wont forget is driving 35 minutes one away trying to get somewhere early then realize the only battery i had was in the charger in the wall at home. I probably can come up with more but these have to be the dumbest mistakes i have made camera related.
Hi DARKSHADOW, I relate to your incident of forgetting the battery on charger .. same thing happened to me, the difference was that I was 3 hours flight away from my home! I just could not help but leaving the camera in my bag after reaching the destination and click pictures with my iphone for the family event! I was blaming the camera brands why they make their individualised batteries which can't be replaced with a simple AA sized batteries available everywhere or any other camera model (even if same brand camera) of any friend. I learnt from this mistake and now I make sure battery is back to its slot after charging!
Maybe you know about this product but in case you don't you may be interested in it and it's not expensive, plus, it accepts AA batteries. I'm not claiming that it's the best on the market, just something I bought recently that I like. GL!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NA7J50G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the info.. good to know that there can be options like this...I have a D7200 nikon, so i may have to search for a battery grip made for it.

Last edited:
Battery grips are fantastic! They give you extra battery life and two batteries worth of power. Plus when you shoot portrait aspect you can use the grips shutter button and wheel controls which makes it a lot lot more comfortable. They also pair with a lot of shoulder/body/wrist straps really well which can make holding them a breeze.

I am the mistake in the equation 99% of the time.

What I've done.

Left camera set up for a studio shoot with too slow shutter, too small an aperture ISO locked to 100.
I have to continuously check the AF or Image stabilization as I have a tendency every once in a while to bump the switches.
Lens cap on.
Diopter on the eye piece bumped, this one made me think I REALLY screwed up my camera. lol
Left camera set up for wildlife and blew out the first few pics in the studio.
Near dead battery and was SURE I put spares in my pocket.......ya camera died.
Left the battery grip turned on and took a couple hundred close up photos of the car door when I put it down.
Thought I'd taken all the photos off of the camera. I format every time I go out. Didn't take the photos off. Lost a whole days worth of shooting. Still trying to get a shot of a bird I saw that day....still haven't gotten one yet.
Overexposed due to some mental lapse.
Under exposed do to some mental lapse.
Forgot the camera in the garage on a -25C evening.

And just about everything else you can think of.
If it's dumb I've probably done it.

All you can do is use it as a learning or point and laugh experience.

The diopter got me a few times. And once I accidentally set a custom wb that turned everything orange. It was a new to me camera and it took me an hour to fix it.

Return to factory settings has been a good friend to me!

Yep made a few..
Forgetting to change the settings after a desk top shoot/macro
Going out with canon 600d and taking the batts for the 60d er um
Worst offence... not having a camera with me and wishing I did

Took beautiful sunsets last night and forgot to put in back in RAW first. My daughter had been using it.

Years ago. Shooting a friend's wedding, medium format, interchangeable backs. Wedding coordinator gleefully shoves me into an elaborate dressing room. Bride sitting in front of mirror, almost, but not completely, in the buff. "Time for boudoir shots!"

This was NOT in the job description! We both have deer-in-the-headlights looks. Embarrassed, we both do our parts as best we can.

Film comes back -- blank. I'd left the dark slide in place, upside down, so it did not activate the release lock-out!

The good news? They were divorced within a couple of years, and she was glad he didn't have any revealing shots of her.

Well ... I have the original battery grip for both my DSLR, and they're indeed great - but certainly not for the option to use AA batteries, I leave that specific insert at home. Its really for the option to hold portrait orientation more comfortably.

Well ... I have the original battery grip for both my DSLR, and they're indeed great - but certainly not for the option to use AA batteries, I leave that specific insert at home. Its really for the option to hold portrait orientation more comfortably.

The AA battery insert I can see working in some select situations where you have access to batteries but no plug outlet to charge the regular camera batteries. However its hard to envision many places where you'd be able to buy batteries and not have access to an electrical plug socket. Most likely its there for those situations where you just have to keep shooting and ran out of regular batteries - however considering the insert takes up the space of several batteries alone in a bag it would be easier just to pack more regular camera batteries

Tried battery grips once and never again, just don`t like them so now make sure I have spare batteries with me as once I did charge them I forgot to take them out... ooops.

Most reactions

Back