Six bucks a month

Michaelaw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Why do people still putz around with photobucket and flickr? For about a hundred bucks a year you can have your own web site, host your own images and movies with unlimited bandwidth and storage space...All for the cost of twenty freaking beers! Are people that cheap?

yah = that and go learn how to program HTLM as well ;)
and also get a program to let you program HTLM as well. Its not all free and also it takes time and new learnings - photobucket and flickr are there and already running with built in features to help as well (flichrs auto resizing is a big bonus if you are on more than one photography website as many have different limits on image size).
Its a simple case of convenience and understanding - if you have the time and understandings to make a webpage and get your own space then it is easier - just as being able to run a computer from DOS is faster and simpler to some than using windows

but flickr is free....and i haven't filled it up yet, since you get more space every month.

my question is...why would you spend hard earned money for something i get for free? :)

ok, so it's not unlimited, etc. etc. ...but it works for people, so that's why they use it. it's enough for most people and they're free.

free is good. :)

Good points, "time and new learnings" are a lot less important than TV, play station and sitting at Starbucks and I had totally forgotten about that. Free and easy...That's where it's at! I'm gonna go get my Hundred bucks back:)

And there is probably more exposure on flickr, plus the 'community' aspect...

A personal website is more for those who are running a business and such.

Different strokes for different folks :D

Errr $100? US? You're overpaying big time. My host is by far not the cheapest and I pay $75 for 2 years, 1gb of hosting, domain, etcetc

That said funny thing is I use my computer at home for my domain, but if you go to www.garbz.com my photos load from flickr, pulled straight off there by the flickr API. So it's using their bandwidth, and all I do is upload my photos there and they automatically appear on my website. All I deliver from the site is one small PHP generated webpage :)

Good points, "time and new learnings" are a lot less important than TV, play station and sitting at Starbucks and I had totally forgotten about that. Free and easy...That's where it's at! I'm gonna go get my Hundred bucks back:)

There's nothing wrong with using a service or product because of convenience and simplicity. Just because someone like Mario Andretti wouldn't use cruise control or traction control on a car doesn't mean that I wouldn't. The problem is you are at a level where its convenience comes at too much of a cost. But you probably still think about convenience when it comes to your website. For example, do you use pure HTML or do you use a program like PageMaker? Some programmers would say that you are crazy for using a web editor cause it limits your ability to quickly and effectively put in the most efficient code possible.

Anyway, its just for people who see the upsides of flickr as being better than the downsides. It doesn't make them any better or worse photographers or anything... just different. Maybe they're too busy shooting and post-processing to bother with running their own website.

There you go even cheaper. Is the US currency still valid? I'm paying $100.00 Canadian roughly for unlimited space and bandwidth. I steer clear of photographic hosting because of the fine print which usually gives them rights to your work since they're providing the hosting. Read the fine print when you sign up.

Using both at the moment. I'm fine building the site. Actually enjoy it. I share my site with a friend. We have similar ideas and preferred a site that could grow to host other photogs at some stage in the future. And I do it for under 6 dollars a month. But the other photog on the site would not be able to set up a site that looks half decent and would struggle to get enough out of it for the money. with the flickr uploader life is really easy and quick. I'm fine using an ftp client he struggles a little.

There you go even cheaper. Is the US currency still valid? I'm paying $100.00 Canadian roughly for unlimited space and bandwidth. I steer clear of photographic hosting because of the fine print which usually gives them rights to your work since they're providing the hosting. Read the fine print when you sign up.

alot of free hosting has ads on it. $100 ca is not alot to pay.

Most reactions

Back