skateboarders... playing with tight crops

urameatball

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lawrenceramps.com
I had this idea of taking sports photos with such a tight crop that part of the object gets cut off... I think it turned out nicely but I would like some feedback from you guys. Thanks.

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1276.jpg

Full album available here: http://www.lawrenceramps.com/s101103.php

Okay.

I love this shot. It seems you caught it at the right moment, although his face is slightly blurred, really would have been cool to see his expression. Otherwise, great, clear shot.

Eek! Creepy old, really hairy guy skateboarding. Hes like the old guy who sits in the bathroom at the movie theatre and invites you in :shock: ... Anyway,
I like how you caught the people in the background, but also keeping him the main subject, not them. I love his expression.

Great Shots :thumbsup:.

I'd say crop even tighter. A composition tip that I run into in a lot of art classes is to have your subject matter break at least three sides of the frame. I'd crop the top of photo #1 clear down to the kid's shoulder and helmet, and i'd crop #2 down to right above the skater's back.

The second photo is much more dynamic than the first. The kid on the bike is very balanced, and seems static, like he's just doing a wheelie or something; a lower angle might help this. The guy on the skateboard is off-balance and seems like he's hurtling through the air.

goodluk2u,
Thanks for the comments! As for the 2nd photo, this guy is an old school skater and he's actually a really nice guy. Always helps people out and has some sort of school choir type organization for elementary school kids. But I see how you could perceive him as a little scary :p.

ksmattfish,
tighter crop? Now I'm getting a little nervous :p. Maybe in time I'll have the guts to break the edge in more than one side. I'll probably play around with the idea the next time I go out to see how it works... Thanks for the great tip though.

I agree with kslajslaelrjeljrlkajkjfish. I applaud you for breaking convention...now let's really do it.

These are both good action shots, but clearly the second one is superior as far as action and clarity. I would respectfully disagree about cropping that one any tighter, unless you're going to eliminate what would remain of the legs and arms of the onlookers - which add to the drama of the shot, IMO. I think it's fine as is. (And maybe I'm showing my age, but this guy hardly comes across as scary to me - he's athletic and healthy-looking, very much in control here - quite a stud, really. The kids in the background are clearly impressed!)

You MIGHT be tempted to crop some of the sky and left side of the first one, you might like it better.

Good shots, overall!

terri said:
I would respectfully disagree about cropping that one any tighter, unless you're going to eliminate what would remain of the legs and arms of the onlookersGood shots, overall!

I'd leave the legs(and bike and board) of the onlookers so that we know that they are there, but I'd get rid of the faces, as I find myself drawn to the onlookers' faces and away from the main subject.

(raises hand) I'm a skateboarder I think you took some great photos there but I don't like the tight crop for example look at the skateobarding picture it looks like he's doing some kind of old school grind but I can't tell because I can't see whether or not the rear truck are touching the rim of the bowl. However I like the way it focuses your attention on the subject so maybe if the crop wasn't so severe it would be perfect.

yah, it seems that a few of the skateboarders don't like the way I'm framing the pictures because there's too much emphasis on the skater and not enough emphasis on the trick.
I've been looking through skater magazines and I noticed that almost all published photos only show the trick and how high the skater gets off the ramp. You will almost NEVER see an action shot where the skater's facial expression is clearly shown.
But then again, I'm only shooting local skaters and most of them don't have the capabilities of flying 10ft in the air... catching a photo of someone jumping 1ft over a ramp is much less exciting, so my only other option is to direct less attention to the trick, and more to the skater.

Most reactions

Back