sleeping baby

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by jemmy, Sep 12, 2006.

1. jemmy

jemmy TPF Noob!

Hi all, Was hoping you could give me some comments and critique on this portrait - is the fluff on the bottom right (part of feathered angel wings) too distracting??? I actually really like it and thought it added to the softness/innocence of the photo but a girlfriend who is also a photog found it distracting?? Any thoughts please ? x

[​IMG]

2. oldnavy170

oldnavy170 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I think its a great picture. I would like this one better in color. Maybe the feathers won't be so distracting in color.....

3. jemmy

jemmy TPF Noob!

Thanks, it was originally shot in colour - as all my stuff is - then converted... I went for the black & white (red filter effect) as her 'baby' skin was really 'veiny' and blotchy and the conversion definitely helped smooth it out. x

4. meotter

meotter TPF Noob!

i do find the feathers to be distracting... if it was in color then it might not appear to be so blown out etc. plus it holds your eye more then the baby (distracting)

perhaps if it was shot at a different angle so the feathers didn't cut right across the frame and almost go across the babies face it would be less distracting? the baby is sweet looking though and i agree the softness of the face is an asset with the B&W

5. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Tender shot! Personally photos of sleeping infants freak me out. I always want them to be bright eyed and full of life. Obviously I am not a parent.

6. Renair

Renair TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Very nice, I think it works well in BW except for the fluffy wings as they light is too harsh on them. Colour they would be fine but BW too harsh, maybe a sepia toned shot would have worked better.....

www.renebruunphotography.com

7. brudawn

brudawn TPF Noob!

I like it! I agree with the previous poster regarding trying a sepai toned shot. I think the feathers add to the softness of the moment.