Slide scanned to jpeg image problem

Trichoux

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello this is my first post here. I have slides from the 1970's . I will scan all into jpeg format. I scaned the first one at 1200 dpi . I put image on my thumb drive and went to Walgreens. The nice lady printed a 5x7 and 8x10.
On both prints (the right vertical edge) was clipped and the prints are missing content that is clearly visible on the jpeg image. Can anyone help ? I dont want to scan 300 slides if I cant make prints.:meh:

Round peg vs square hole

The shapes of the three images are different. While they are all rectangles, their aspect ratios (ratio of width to height) are different. You can't make either a 5x7 or and 8x10 from a 35mm full frame image without cropping off part of the image.

A standard 35mm FF image 3:2 aspect ratio and therefore matches the shape of a 4x6, 5x7.5, 8x12, 11x16.5, and 12x18. An 8x10 would therefore crop off 2" of length. Since in the real world the mechanical limitations of the printer's paper feed require that borderless prints be printed slightly oversized so that some image bleeds off all edges the actual printed image will be scaled to something like 8.2x12.3" and then cropped to by the paper being just 8x10.

If you want the whole image printed on, say, 8x10 paper with the necessary blank borders to fill out the sheet then you need to create a file that is properly sized as 8x10 that contains the blank borders. You can do this easily in Photoshop by first resizing the image so that the long dimension is 10" using "Image Size..." and then using "Canvas Size..." to change the width of the canvas to 8", selecting the background color you wish.

Is it possible to get prints made in 4x6 or 8x12 ? And are you saying these sizes would show all of the jpeg content ? My scanner cropped all the white borders for me.

Yeah of course, just ask for them. Typically the stores here give you a warning some edges will be cropped if you print 10x8.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back