Slow motion issue

ihende

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi All,I am new to this forum and don't know if this topic belongs here,if not ,please delete it with my apologies but can anyone tell me if I can ask questions here concerning "slow motion" or is there another forum that anyone can point me to please?Thanks,regards,Mike.

My question regards "slow motion",my son is an athlete and I want to be able to play back his films in slow motion to analyse his workouts/performance.I don't have much money to spend on expensive equipment but I would like to have slow motion like the NFL or NBA,I mean true slow motion that goes "fluidly" backwards and forward and not the frame by frame or 1/4 speed nonsense that some call slow motion.
I bought a DVR feature from Dish network a couple of days ago after a Tech of theirs told me that if I were to record an even,their slo-mo will be what I want,well,it is not so I'm back to square one.My camcorder too does not give me the slo-mo that I require,I imported the video file into my pc and searched the net for a slo-mo program to do it but cannot find anything.
So I guess I am looking for 2 basic things right now,

1]A software that will play back my video files with effective slo-mo

2]A way to record the video files in the first place that will give what I need.I was looking at a feature the other day on TV that showed how Steve Sabol,the guy who does the NFL films records the films and I came across something very interesting,he said that they film the game with one camera at regular speed and use another camera and film in slow motion,this suggests to me that when we see "highlights" on TV it might be coming from the slow motion reel so I was wondering if my Canon Videocam can record at slo-mo speed too?

Would appreciate any help/advice/links that will help with the 2 issues above please,thanks.

There is a cheap program by pinnacle that will let you slow down the video pretty slow. The only thing I would recommend is to make sure you have a good digital video camera. It's all about the software after the fact.

Hi Thanks,I will contact Pinnacle and inquire about such a software.I have a new Canon digital videocam.Anyone else?

If you do not mind pressing a button many times, just a simple frame-by-frame playback should not cost you the price of expensive equipment. I can playback a scene frame by frame on my VCR and DVD player at home.

That is exactly what I DON'T want,the frame by frame type slo-mo,I do use it sometimes so it yes it does come in handy,but for sport evaluations,the choppy type slo-mo is not required.I need the more "fluid" type of slo-mo,my research suggests that only the more expensive software will give the results I want.Thanks for the input though.

The pinacle system spoke of works well. If you have a computer that can run a video rendering program without frame drops that is a great program you render the video in your computer adjust whatever you want, color, speed etc then you can burn it to a VCD or DVD most DVD players will play VCDs also. You can adust the speed of the video to almost as slow as you want and it is a digital motion so you will not get that tick toc slow mo.

I don't know of the Pinnacle software "Hobbes28" is referring to,I called Pinnacle and one of their Techs told me that the one he recommends is the "Liquid Edition" which costs a little over $500.If that is not the one you guys are referring to,then please give me the name if you can,thanks.

They sell a set called Movie Box that comes in a USB or IEEE version. It has the external box that you attach your camcorder to your computer and comes with the software for editing your video once you render it into your computer. It has many effects and you can adjust the video speed. It cost around $100 the liquid edition is a pretty big step up from their basic software that comes with movie box.

Most reactions

Back