SLR lense problem

Bharris

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I have a 35-70MM Quantaray SLR lens. It has been working flawlessly as long as I have had it. Recently it's started to stick when I try to manually focus the lens. Such as, when rotating from 35mm to 70mm, it will stick just before 70mm and will not go any further. When I try to go back to 30mm, it stops just before 30mm. It takes a few more slides back and fourth to get it to go to 30mm/70mm. This is also the case with the secondary focus but it is much more difficult.

This lense is practically always on the camera, has never been dropped, has never been in intense heat/cold or anything that could possibly damage it. I have not forced it roughly either but it will just not move smoothly as it used to for some reason.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Well how old is it and, what is the warranty like? It sounds like it needs to go to the shop for some work. Almost sounds like the grease either gelled or dried out. Which would make it stick. If it is under warranty it should be no charge. You will need to send it in either way.

Or grit.

Either way, send it in if under warranty, if not, get an estimate, and if it is too much, just get an 18-xx

If it is not a weather sealed lens it wil get dust inside over time. Dust in the zoom travel channels can cause it to get sticky.

It's very likely the lens needs to go into the shop for maintanence.

Amazon Marketplace has a couple of those for about $90 a copy.

Just walk into another ritz and pick up a new one for $15. I think they're on clearance right now at like 80% off.

Thanks for the tips guys.

To answer some questions-

Yes, it is an old lens, the camera itself is a Minolta Maxxum 7000i. It was given to me along with two lenses ( Quantaray 35-70mm and a 70-210 ). Camera itself is about as old as I am, (20) so I would surmise the lenses are as well.

Here are a few pictures to better depict.

The 70-210mm;
Picture4-1.jpg

Camera w/35mm;
Picture5-1.jpg

Semi-smooth rotation on 35mm;
Picture7-1.jpg

Gets stuck here, but going back a little then forward allows it to go to the end;
Picture9-1.jpg

Picture8-1.jpg

Not quite on 70mm, the secondary focus will not move at all. Moving the secondary results in the 35-70mm focus changing.
Picture10-1.jpg

This really sucks because it's my main lens! Arrghhhh.

Well yeah if it is that old then Im willing to bet congealed grease. You eitherA) have to live with it or B) Assess wehter the lens is worth having service done to it, depending on costs vs a new lens.

Most reactions

Back