Smoky smokerson

KAikens318

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread but can't figure out how to delete it!

So I think I have finally figured out the best way for me to take the Smoke art pictures! I combined smoke art and high speed techniques. Incense on a table in front of a black backdrop, camera on a tripod, flash about 110 degrees to the side of the camera with reflector on the opposite side of the camera. ISO 100, Shutter 1.3 seconds, I trigger the shutter and then hit the flash. Boom. Smoke Art. I love it.

DSC_2202_1copy.jpg

DSC_2250_12.jpg

DSC_2261copy.jpg

As a beginer, I didn't understand your explanation of how you took these so I would have to see it done. These are fantastic. They are truly amazing. It is hard to give an actual critique on a concept I do not understand but I can say that I like it.

Continue with this, please.

As a beginer, I didn't understand your explanation of how you took these so I would have to see it done. These are fantastic. They are truly amazing. It is hard to give an actual critique on a concept I do not understand but I can say that I like it.

Look at this website, you will learn so much!

50 Incredible Photography Techniques and Tutorials - Smashing Magazine

That is where I got the technique for the high speed photography portion of it, and they also give you some good tips for smoke photography. Basically you need a lot of light, but not on the backdrop, you need enough to have a fast shutter speed, but also have a large aperture number such as F11 so that the smoke stays in focus. I tried out the high speed technique on it and it seemed to work well.

Thank you for your kind comments!

Just took a look at the link you provided and it looks like a massive amount of information and will take me some time to go through. Thank you so much for this info. Looks like I have my starting grounds laid out for me.

That is where I got the technique for the high speed photography portion of it, and they also give you some good tips for smoke photography. Basically you need a lot of light, but not on the backdrop, you need enough to have a fast shutter speed, but also have a large aperture number such as F11 so that the smoke stays in focus. I tried out the high speed technique on it and it seemed to work well.

Thanks for the link! :thumbup: nice work too!

Thanks for the link! :thumbup: nice work too!

You are welcome and thank you! That site is my go-to photography Bible right now as I am trying to explore some different areas of photographing. My next foray will be water drop shots...but that I need a lot of work on!

Most reactions

Back