Snapshot vs Photograph

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first read this post, I thought to myself, "This guy is either 12 years old or has a mental disability."

See, you lept right into personal attacks.
Yet you play the victim.
:er:
I clearly stated in a previous post that I refrained from doing that unless it was done to me first. Which it was, as you can see. Sorry if you missed that.

While I don't feel like Gary's sample images were the best for demonstrating his intent (with the exception of the biking shot, which is awesome), but what you fail to realize Polyphony, is that you're wrong.

It doesn't matter which way you personally define a word, it doesn't make it true. For example, it doesn't mater how many people believe in a god, or many gods, it doesn't make god REAL. See?

So if you go up to a professional photographer, especially one that's still using film, and you say "These are wonderful snapshots". He/She'd probably do a double take, and then punch you in the face with a knife.

tl;dr version: Polyphony, believe what you want, but you're wrong... Still.
Polyphony, please point out the personal attack.

While I don't feel like Gary's sample images were the best for demonstrating his intent (with the exception of the biking shot, which is awesome), but what you fail to realize Polyphony, is that you're wrong.

It doesn't matter which way you personally define a word, it doesn't make it true. For example, it doesn't mater how many people believe in a god, or many gods, it doesn't make god REAL. See?

So if you go up to a professional photographer, especially one that's still using film, and you say "These are wonderful snapshots". He/She'd probably do a double take, and then punch you in the face with a knife.

Polyphony, please point out the personal attack.
You must have failed to see the two quotes that I posted from him where actually searched for two of my threads in which I asked honest questions. He then proceeded to sarcastically comment at size 7 font in a clear attempt to be degrading. Hence, attack.

To my mind, you're simply wrong, Polyphony, but as you keep insisting that you're being wrong is actually right, there is no chance for this discussion to ever end amicably. I look at this thread for yet another while, but I can see the lock looming at the horizon already...

To my mind, you're simply wrong, Polyphony, but as you keep insisting that you're being wrong is actually right, there is no chance for this discussion to ever end amicably. I look at this thread for yet another while, but I can see the lock looming at the horizon already...
You, like almost every other, fail to see that this is not a question of right or wrong. It's a question of opinion. The OP asked the opinion of everyone on this board. I gave mine. I was then targeted and determined by you and others to be "wrong". I never once insisted (as you say I did) that "I am right and you are wrong". I told you what I thought, and then why I thought what I thought. No one else has done the same. They have only stated that I am "wrong". All I have done is explained my opinion on the matter. If you fail to see that, it is your problem not mine.

Yeah Polyphony, what gives? You're the one attacking me. I was giving YOU compliments by your own definition.

Did I fail to understand what you've been saying the entire time in this thread? Was I the only person who you think "didn't read your posts?" Well guess what, Matlock? It appears that EVERYONE that's arguing with you DIDN'T read your posts. BECAUSE NO ONE AGREES WITH YOU.

Me, childish? Maybe sometimes. Or perhaps you just fail to see that I am making a point using satire.

But at least I'm not wrong, like you. Wrongy McWrong-pants.

Oh, and guess what? I didn't personally attack you either. You should probably do some research on what a personal attack is. While you are at it, you should google the definition of "snapshot" and how it applies to photography.

Last edited:
A snapshot is any photograph that relies on timing of the subject.

I do a lot of posed/planned photographs that rely on the timing of my subject. A lot of portrait work relies on the timing of the subject.
I would call them snapshots then, not bad photos, snapshots.

Good. We have that cleared up then. You're using the word wrong and you don't know the definition. I've even helped you out a bit with a little bit of bold on the important words from three of the most widely regarded dictionaries.

Merriam Webster said:
Definition of SNAPSHOT

: a casual photograph made typically by an amateur with a small handheld camera

: an impression or view of something brief or transitory <a snapshot of life back then>

The Oxford English Dictionary said:
snapshot (snap·shot)

Syllabification:
Pronunciation:/&#712;snap&#716;SHät/
noun

• 1 an informal photograph taken quickly, typically with a small handheld camera
  • a brief look or summary:this excellent book can only be a snapshot of a complex industry
  • Computinga record of the contents of a storage location or data file at a given time
  • 2 (snap shot) a shot taken quickly by a hunter
Cambridge Dictionary said:
snapshot noun

pron-uk.png
pron-us.png
/&#712;snæp.&#643;&#594;t/
ussymbol.png
/-&#643;&#593;&#720;t/ n [C] informal

a photograph

Yeah Polyphony, what gives? You're the one attacking me. I was giving YOU compliments by your own definition
This is a lame attempt at redeeming your character.

Did I fail to understand what you've been saying the entire time in this thread? Was I the only person who you think "didn't read your posts?" Well guess what, Matlock? It appears that EVERYONE that's arguing with you DIDN'T read your posts. BECAUSE NO ONE AGREES WITH YOU.

And because no one agrees with me I am wrong and should be forced to hide my opinion?

Me, childish? Maybe sometimes.
But at least I'm not wrong, like you. Wrongy McWrong-pants.
You should have just left it at that.

Village Idiot: Please explain to me how capturing the expression on a goalie's face as a soccer ball flies by his hands is "formal"

And Merriam Webster is making an assumption by saying "typically by an amateur with a small handheld camera". Which means according to this dictionary, that snapshots can be taken by professionals with very large tripod-mounted cameras (among other combinations of people and camera)

So far, all the dictionaries that you cited support my opinion.

You, like almost every other, fail to see that this is not a question of right or wrong. It's a question of opinion.

No it's not. Snapshot has a well defined meaning that's recorded in many official dictionaries.

If the dictionaries says that a Cat is a small feline mamal of a certain classification, then you can't go around saying that a certain animal isn't a cat because it doesn't **** in a litter box and eat friskies.

That's like you're trying to make up your own definition to a word that already has a solidly defined definition.

You, like almost every other, fail to see that this is not a question of right or wrong. It's a question of opinion.

No it's not. Snapshot has a well defined meaning that's recorded in many official dictionaries.

If the dictionaries says that a Cat is a small feline mamal of a certain classification, then you can't go around saying that a certain animal isn't a cat because it doesn't **** in a litter box and eat friskies.

That's like you're trying to make up your own definition to a word that already has a solidly defined definition.
Please read the post just above yours.

Are these better snapshots :mrgreen:
138512747_NJd6o-L.jpg

Positioned especially to get the S shape of the track
188042161_gpBM5-L.jpg

Village Idiot: Please explain to me how capturing the expression on a goalie's face as a soccer ball flies by his hands is "formal"

Because that's the whole reason you're there. You're there to take photos. You're not there informally, casually, or as an amateur with a small handheld camera.

Same thing with portraiture that relies on timing from your subject. No where in any definition that I've seen have I read that a snapshot depends on the timing of you're subject.

You're just trying to pick a certain point from those definitions because you don't want to admit you're wrong and if you even dare to say that a DSLR with a large professional grade lens is a small handheld camera, then you're just being obtuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back