Snowmobile Pics, something I find difficult.

Shibby!

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
As if it's not bad enough to capture a sled at the right moment, but you have to deal with bad lighting, friends that don't know what would make a good picture, other friends ruining snow conditions, and dealing with the cold, I find it difficult to capture a moment that stands out. The terrain is all so similar, there is nothing that can really make you go "wow" other then shear skill.

Anybody have any pointers?

FernieFeb3rd062.jpg

GoldenJan19th20th041.jpg

GoldenJan19th20th089.jpg

GoldenJan19th20th075.jpg

GoldenJan19th20th110.jpg

I think they are good. That much snow is hard to deal with. The only thing I may change is not to use a black border. To me it makes all the white seem even more brighter.

First one is my favorite. The guy going between the trees looks so cool!

I think they are good. That much snow is hard to deal with. The only thing I may change is not to use a black border. To me it makes all the white seem even more brighter.

Thanks for the help guys. I have a few more going through that tree'd area. Because of avalanche hazzards this year, I'm not too keen on doing hill climbs, plus I prefer to boondock through trees.

I try to get the sky in whenever possible to add colour to the pictures, but being on top of mountains, often when it's snowing, you don't see many clear days. These were all taken on days where we lucked out with the weather.

I use a black boarder simply to seperate it from the forum background. Otherwise I find images bleed out and don't look as good. (I usually add th boarder to all my pictures posted on-line)

I find it hard to get angles, etc. Working in 4 feet of snow it's not easy to get around, nor do you have any height advantages if the terrain doesn't permit. I tried getting low for some pics this past weekend, but they don't look a whole lot different. I'd like a wide angle lens to catch more of the scenery and areas we ride though. The wide angle shot was with my kit lens (you can see the L lens on the seat of my sled). I have a 24-70 L coming so that will help me out with some sharper wide angles.

Fantastic shots. I like them all. Some great action going on there.

I use a black boarder simply to seperate it from the forum background. Otherwise I find images bleed out and don't look as good. (I usually add th boarder to all my pictures posted on-line)
I was under the same thought when I read the "....not to use a black border..." comment. The photos would just merge right into the forum background without is.

Yeah, I think these are great! #3 is a really good action shot... Makes me wish I had friends who have snowmobiles.

#3 is the stand out. I like it as is, but another approach would be to use a slower shutter speed and have the background motion blurred but have the rider and snowmobile sharp.

I don't know what kind of gear you have, but for action like this a grip to increase your fps would be handy as well as a fast lens. You would have more shots to choose from.

I think you did very well. The snow looks like snow.

I just noticed the other sledder in the corner of pic 2. That's sick, it really adds to it. I wish I could see these bigger.

I just noticed the other sledder in the corner of pic 2. That's sick, it really adds to it. I wish I could see these bigger.

Yup, not a great picture of hill climbing, but the snow conditions were as what we like to call it: Hero snow.

Basically you could climb as high as you want. It has a good base and allows you continue your climb. These guys were getting to the top of those mountain ridges. Like you normally hear, pictures don't do it justice. You are a LONG way up at that point. If I wasn't so worried about avalanches I'd like to get some wide angle shots as the sledders turn up top when they highmark. Problem is stopping a sled at that area. I've seen them roll and kartwheel all the way to the bottom. As you can probably guess, the sled is a write off. It would make good pictures though =)

I'll have to check out the photographer link posted by Copenkegan.

I also like the suggestion of blurred backgrounds. I'm decent at panning from doing my motorcycle pictures with a slow lens.

I'm using a Xti with 70-200 F2.8 L lens. I'll soon be packing a 24-70 F2.8 as well. Speed is not a problem. When shooting low F-stops the shutter is around 1/3000-4000 on a sunny day.

The problem is not getting nice pictures. I appreciate the pictures I get, and I'm glad you guys do as well, the problem is I need more variety. I can go out and get 30 pictures which are "frame" quality, but they all start to look the same.

I also don't shoot continueous. I'm not a fan. I have pretty good finger reaction so I can get the timing pretty much right every time.

I'll post some more pics tonight if I get time.

There is one guy I know from another forum that does amazing snowmobile photography. He may be able to give you a few pointers.

http://www.photosbygraham.com/snowmobiling_events.htm

He does some amazing work. One of my personal favorite photographers.

Amazing pictures. They are all in areas that we go riding in as well.

I like how he uses angles and zoom to look like he's in harms way =) Really captures the moment. I'll have to see what I can do next time I go out. I'll keep my fingers crossed for clear skys!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back