so doing a little lighting search

matt62485

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
im so baffled. ive been reading on lighting and strobist blog

how would this equipment be for an amateur to practice some potraits and get the hang of lighting?

also, im quite confused on how exactly i would set this up with my d40. im pretty wiring savvy, but this has me baffled. assuming i use the sb-600 on the hotshoe with a diffuser, how would the rest work?

SB-600 on the hotshoe

and

2 x SB2436 Flashpoint II 24" x 36", 60cm x 91cm, Softbox for all Model II Monolights.

along with

2 x FP320 Flashpoint Model II 320A Monolight, 150 Watt Second Strobe, 120 Volt

The monolight can be triggered by the flash of light from the SB-600 on the hot shoe, wirelessly, as long as the SB-600 is not in TTL mode so it doesn't fire pre-flashes.
blackbulet.gif
Built-in Slave. Can be Turned Off
Just leave the Slave mode turned on.

You need light stands for the lights. At least 8 foot, 10 foot is better.

ahhh ok. thanks! i thought for some reason it had to be in TTL to work with the d40. im learning

stands, d0h. i wouldve forgot them.

these pieces pretty decent to practice with?

ahhh ok. thanks! i thought for some reason it had to be in TTL to work with the d40. im learning

stands, d0h. i wouldve forgot them.

these pieces pretty decent to practice with?
At 150 w/s they are barely adequet, imo.

I take a minimalist approach to lighting because I'm usually out on location somewhere.

I carry 3 light stands, a couple monopods, several kinds of clamps, an wide assortment of bungy cords, several rolls of gaffers and duct tape, and at least 6 speedlights.

yea, thats over my head at this moment in time lol.

and budget!

I think two, 150 watt-second monolights, especially at only $99 each, makes a lot of sense. The reviews I've read of the FlashPoint monolights have been pretty favorable. I think most people often go overboard on monolight power.
For the price, those lights actually look pretty good.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back